Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Tartan 37 dodger

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 03:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tartan 37 dodger
PostPosted: 09 May 2019 07:46 
Rail Meat

I made a new dodger and it was quite a project. I bought the Z stitch Sailrite and used my old dodger as the pattern. I decided not to replace the windows this time as I was on a limited budget. I’d had too many holes and degraded seams in the old dodger so had to do the top. I watched the Sailrite videos on how to make a dodger and frankly should have followed them exactly rather than using the original as a pattern. Even though I was using the exact same frames, it didn’t fit quite right when done and I had to rip a seam and redu it to prevent it from sagging in the middle. I’m happy with the result and have gotten really good with the machine allowing me, for the $1k or so in investment (machine, bobbins, thread, material, etc.) to also make a dozen stitching repairs on my jib, mainsail cover, wheel cover, and completely repair a previously defunct spinnaker. I’ll try cushions perhaps this winter and will make a Bimini at some point too. It’s been a real education learning to use this machine well. The best advice I can give is pay attention to not putting horizontal stress on the needle to thus avoid “needle strikes.” If you do get a strike, remove the bobbin mechanism and look for nicks, and sand them down with Emory papery. Otherwise your thread will get shredded while sewing.

Resolute #206
Newburyport, MA

Profile Email