Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hooligan Refit Continues - Deck Gel Coat Re-spray

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hooligan Refit Continues - Deck Gel Coat Re-spray
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019 17:28 
Able Bodied Seaman

Almost bit off more than I wanted to chew with this stage of the refit... Started to just re-spray the cabin top as a single stage, but once I got started it seemed a waste not to carry the gel coat down the cabin top sides as well. Ended up taking a week to tape off everything. Probably could have done faster, but was extra careful with the edges. I had previously used only paper for the foredeck, but it got really wet when it rained - it did dry out ok, but I ripper it several times. This time I used 4 mill plastic on the top deck and paper on the hatches. Plastic held up well since I had heavy dew every morning, but I did have some minor problems with tape not sticking well. Didn't remove any more deck hardware than reasonable (another reason it took a long time to tape). I also found that using tarps helped with dew and one day when we had rain. I used canvas tarps to protect from over-spray. Used bricks to hold inside lifelines and cloths pins to hold to top of lifelines. Looked a little strange, but worked well. Used my 8 gallon 125 psi compressor and sprayed at 45 psi. Started with 4 oz. mixes and then went to 8 oz. mixes. Instructions say to apply 2 mill thick, so applied over 2 days. On 2nd day I went back to 4 oz. mixes as the gelcoat set-up in 15 minutes. More work, but better control. Overall came out very good. I now need to wet sand and buff to complete this phase. I plan to spray the white stripe along the toe rail from where I stopped on the initial re-spray. Am evaluating if I will re-spray the cockpit or just buff out as it is in good condition. Will post 2 messages w/photos;
This one is the cabin in process and 2) is the port lights and completed job.

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Attachments:
Cabin Top 1 -Taping Fwd.JPG
Cabin Top 1 -Taping Fwd.JPG [ 602.78 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Cabin Top 2 - Vise Grip Holding CB.JPG
Cabin Top 2 - Vise Grip Holding CB.JPG [ 494.68 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Cabin Top 3 - Taping Aft.JPG
Cabin Top 3 - Taping Aft.JPG [ 641.92 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Cabin Top 4 - Pending Grab Rails.JPG
Cabin Top 4 - Pending Grab Rails.JPG [ 684.43 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Cabin Top 5 - Covered for Rain.JPG