Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Purchasing a Wind Generator

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Purchasing a Wind Generator
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2019 16:24 
Rail Meat

Looking to purchase a wind generator and wondering if anyone would recommend a particular make and model. I would want one where the blades could be locked. I'm not sure what the actual load is on my boat but I would think 400w should suffice.The batteries feed an auto pilot, chart plotter, ice box refrigerator, AC/ heating, radar, lighting and ssb radio and vhf. I searched this section of the forum but didn't see anything recent. With technology changing all the time I was hoping to get an update on recommendations. I will be also adding 2 - 200w solar panels
Thanks

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Purchasing a Wind Generator
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2019 22:48 
Skipper

You won't need a wind gen with 400watts of solar, unless you're in the NWP. Less and less people are cruising with wind gens. I wouldn't do it. We have the same gear as you, except no SSB and do fine with two 100w semi-flexable panels. You aren't running AC off 12V and heat my be questionable. Lots of drag and noise with wing gens. If I did have one it would be the D400, not cheap.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Purchasing a Wind Generator
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019 08:00 
Rail Meat

Thanks for your reply. The previous owner had a wind generator of some sort but removed it. The pole is there so I thought it would be a good back up if the sun wasn't shining for a few days. I'll look into the one you mentioned Thanks again

Profile Email