Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - salon windows

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: salon windows
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019 17:07 
Tactictian

I noticed that link didn't work. I just googled "tartan 37c port replacement" and got the site for Nick Nack. It is worth a read. I will replace mine with the metal ones but as I said before it is a reasonable job to do when you do them all at once and build out the cabin sides to eliminate the need for spacers. The spacers look alright but by building out the sides I can making a better shelf for the pvc foam board head liner that I need to do as the whole process.#337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019 08:59 
Skipper

Like I said, I never thought about the insulating part of it. The teak paneling is held to the fiberglass with resin in mine. Very difficult to clean up. But now I'm thinking it would be good to build up the flimsy coach house layup, at least in the area of stress from the traveler, with some biax. Hardest part would be getting all of the teak out of the way first. But I probably have to back off some from trying to make a "good" boat a "great" boat. I'm just looking for safe, sound utility and a way off the rock if it ever comes up.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019 11:41 
Skipper

For what it’s worth, I replaced all my ports with new Beckson plastic ports almost 20 years ago. No leaks, no problems. I did the whole boat for the cost of 3-4 stainless ports.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019 16:50 
Skipper

I weighed just replacing the Becksons vs. the Newfounds. I've used other stainless ports that fogged within a year in the tropics. The Newfounds seem to hold up. Thing is, sailing hard with things flying around, running up and down the deck, I wanted no ankle catchers and something that wouldn't crack from a minor hit. My Becksons, every one, had cracks on the outside that were causing water intrusion. They stuck out enough to get whacked. But they were 40 years old and clearly exceeded their useful life, and fixing the water damage doesn't appear to be an overwhelming task.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019 19:00 
Skipper

Not to beat a dead horse but...Beckson now cuts the flange to fit your boat. You send the dimension for each when you order the port. Mine are all flush from the outside. I have the “rain drain” option forward. I’m sure the metal ports are better but I have been happy with the Becksons.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019 12:44 
Skipper

Zoombats wrote:
When I come to do the refit I have to replace all the port lights because the plastic ones all leak. As I am anticipating all the bad teak ply to be further ruined from the demolition I will prep the openings for the metal ports by blocking all around with 1/2" material and even at the top and bottom of of the cabin side to be infilled with 1/2" foam and skin with teak veneer. i need to replace all the head liner first so I will make sure the liner lands on the blocking where the cabin top meets the sides. I have the luxury(really?) of stripping out everything to replace all the failing and dated port lights making the finished repair suitable to blocking out and insulating at the same time with those dismally thin cabin sides.

Go look here. I think you're going to have an awful tight fit once you get insulation and liner overhead: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=978&p=5309&hilit=Newfound #p5309

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019 11:43 
Able Bodied Seaman

Just saw this post and thought I would add my experience - Guess I was lucky that I found my T-37 in Ohio. She was 18 years old, but was kept on the hard with a full cover every winter. As a result, there was no damage to the teak side walls. Once I took her to Florida, the plastic ports failed pretty quickly (leaking). After replacing them twice, I decided to go to NFM port lights as part of my re-fit. I used the teak inserts, which I varnished prior to install. I opted to use liberal marine sealant on the inside surface of the outside collar vs the supplied foam and butyl rubber between the outside collar and the inside insert. I added enough butyl rubber so the butyl also sealed around the inside of the cabin top hole. As a result, there is a seal on the inside of the collar and on the interior insert. Since the port light is sealed at the outside of the fiberglass cabin top, I did not use sealant on the interior. After 4 years, I have had no leaks in any of the 8 port lights I replaced. The NFM port lights are great - I did the install myself one at a time. Have to say 1st install took over a week as I was learning, but got down to 3 days for the last one! Here's a few photos of my install.

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Attachments:
NFM Port Lights - Exterior.JPG
NFM Port Lights - Exterior.JPG [ 645.48 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
NFM Port Lights - Interior.JPG
NFM Port Lights - Interior.JPG [ 730.47 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
NFM Port Lights - 1.JPG
NFM Port Lights - 1.JPG [ 623.22 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
NFM Port Lights - 2.JPG
NFM Port Lights - 2.JPG [ 786.21 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019 12:38 
Skipper

Nice job. We're getting there. Just debating whether to paint the coachhouse/deck area first or strip it back to gelcoat (someone painted it w/1 part poly) and go with that. Ports came out in a couple hours. I have to have the youngest son there for adult supervision when I'm in demolition mode.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019 10:43 
Able Bodied Seaman

No turning back now!! I decided that I would replace one at a time since the existing factory cut holes had to be enlarged to accept the NFM replacement units. After much thought, centered template, clamped in place and drilled holes from outside. I then rigged the template on the inside of the factory cut out positioned with wood dowels thru the drilled holes and clamped in place, found a router bit that had cutting blades above the guide roller and made clean cut both inside and out. The forward holes were a bit of a problem as there was not enough space for my hand router to go all the way around the hole on the outside, which resulted in some hand cutting. Be sure to center the hole between the cabin top ridge line and the deck. I found that the measurement between the deck and cabin top ridge line increased about 1/4" top and bottom as the ports go aft. I tried to rig a cover to keep cutting dust inside at a minimum, but nothing worked except a vacuum cleaner once all cutting was complete.

If you are going to re-gel coat or paint the topsides, best to complete before you install new units, however, I have just competed gel coat respray of my cabin top and found an easy way to tape the installed ports. I will be posting photos in next couple of days.

Tom Lindsay
Hooligan #370

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019 15:09 
Skipper

By all means, photos. I've finally figured out how this works for posting photos. We're working on the Tartan, but getting distracted with a nice little lobster boat to ship back to the Virgin Islands. The Tartan came with a 24" radar dome on a Questus unit on the backstay. That's getting shifted over to the lobster boat, and a lighter unit for the Questus. Should let me see birds from several miles away fishing with the Dyer. God, boat ownership is a disease. I had 3 in the yard at once in St. Thomas around 2005. Got to sail, got to fish.

Profile Email