Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Installing a mid rail chock

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing a mid rail chock
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007 07:29 
Grinder

OK, I?m almost finished the mid rail chock installation I?ve been working on? for two years. I bought the chocks a few years earlier from Whitewater Marine

To locate the best possible spot for the chocks, I played around with the best fairlead from the proposed location of each chock to the primary Genoa winches, both port and starboard. The center point of the chock (it has a predrilled hole in the center) was directly over an existing bolt through the toe rail covered with a bung. I marked the chocks port and starboard and indicated the direction of the bow on each as they were not exactly alike.

Next, I cut out enough of the toe rail, about 1 inch on either side of the bolt and down about an inch with a coping saw to give me access to the bolt head and backed out the ? inch bolt with a 7/16? ratchet. They both came out very easily and had no corrosion (the boat had been a fresh water boat all of its life). I marked the center of each chock as well as the toe rail?s existing hole, all around as a reference.

Then I carefully traced the outline of the chock on the toe rail inside and outside and cut as much as I felt comfortable with a jig saw, leaving the pencil mark. The rest will be done by hand carefully measuring with the chock, cutting with a hand chisel, measuring with the chock, cutting with a hand chisel and so on. The final trimming was done with a hand plane and a course wood file and finished with 80 grit sand paper. When it got to a point that the chock fit snugly and was positioned correctly in the toe rail, I called it ?good enough.? This is fussy work that should not be rushed; taking off too much would be a problem.

Using the old, empty bolt hole as a reference, I got the correct angle for the rest of the new holes using an adjustable drill guide to be sure I hit the aluminum bar in the hull to deck joint and not out the outside of the hull. I positioned the chock in the rail and held it firmly in place with some quick grip clamps and used the holes in the chock as a reference for drilling the rest of the holes. Then, I carefully drilled the holes checking the first one to be sure my measurements were correct. You have to trim the teak bulkhead on the starboard side before doing this. The port side was clear of any obstructions. Once the drilling was done, I dry fitted the chock using stainless steel, #10 (1/4in), philips head, machine screws. Four inch for the four holes on top and 2 ? inch for the lower, center hole.

Next, I carefully taped the toe rail and chock with 3M, blue painters tape. Using mahogany colored, 3M 5200, I spread out a nice layer on the toe rail cutout for bedding keeping the 5200 out of the predrilled holes. Finally, I slipped the bolts through the holes in the chock and added a small bead of 5200 around each to seal the holes before slipping them into their final resting place.

With my helper (first mate) on deck and me below, I used ? by 1 inch stainless steel fender washers on all but the center screw because they fit better side by side. On the center screw I used a ? by 1 ? inch stainless steel fender washer, all fitted with lock washers and nuts. I snugged them all down, but not too tight. I will do that later after the 5200 has cured a little and I do the final clean up. Later I will install an 8 inch, stainless steel cleat to complete the project.

Attachments:
File comment: Cutting out the toe rail and fitting the chock.
1 Cutting in.jpg
1 Cutting in.jpg [ 24.45 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Getting the correct angle for drilling and holding the chock in place
5 Drill the rest of the holes.jpg
5 Drill the rest of the holes.jpg [ 45.39 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Clean up.
8 Clean up and wait for cure.jpg
8 Clean up and wait for cure.jpg [ 25.64 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Installing a mid rail chock
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007 07:35 
Grinder

Here is the finished port side.
Attachment:
9 The port side.jpg

9 The port side.jpg [ 20.37 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007 08:53 
Skipper

I did the same project several years ago and have found the additional cleats to be very helpful when needing an extra springline.....especially trying to dock with adverse currents/wind combination for the mid-ship postion, you can pivot around a piling under power to help you into the slip. Not a bad upgrade for the money....worthwhile
Cheers

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007 10:38 
Skipper

Nice pics! So where are we looking at? Is that forward near the pulpit?
The bushes make a nice background. Never seen so much green around a boat out of the water.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007 11:43 
Grinder

Nope. Those are the bases for a life line gate. The chock and cleat are about in line with the second port from the cockpit.

Panacea has just enough room to park where my car should be:)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007 17:57 
Skipper

Just curious...

If you were to do it again would you use a "pop up" cleat?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2007 10:22 
Grinder

Hi Chef,

I am not familiar with the pop up style cleats. I choose the traditional style because of its simplicity and no moving parts and no need to cut a big hole in the deck. If there are concerns about stubbed toes or lines getting caught in the horns of the cleat I will make some cleat guards like the ones described in Bill Seifert?s book, Offshore Sailing 200 Essential Passagemaking Tips.

Mark

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2007 22:14 
Skipper

t37-panacea wrote:
Nope. Those are the bases for a life line gate. The chock and cleat are about in line with the second port from the cockpit.

Wow... so that's not stock? We've always had just about the same rig on High Flight. Just assumed it was OEM.

You can see ours in the blown up pic here...
http://www.down2thec.com/albums/highfli ... v3_002.jpg
Cleat is at the 2nd porthole. Chock is slightly forward of that.

Regardless, very nice work. Cheers

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 May 2007 23:05 
Skipper

Found out from the skipper that he did the very same project to High Flight. Hard to believe folks can live without them. Bonus to the project... 4" less teak rail to oil!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 May 2007 08:48 
Skipper

To avoid stubbing toes, I snugged my cleats just forward of the stanchion base, leaving just enough room to cleat off the lines.

Profile Email