Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Replacing hatchboards

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 16:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing hatchboards
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2007 09:33 
Rail Meat

Has anyone replaced the standard hatchboards with either Lexan/acrylic boards or saloon type doors? We would like to do one or the other, but not sure at this point. We had acrylic hatch boards on our Bristol and really enjoying the extra light down below. Roger Rippy

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Replacing hatchboards
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2007 08:54 
Skipper

I rebuilt the original plywood hatch boards with the same style, but solid teak that is 1" thick and rabbeted along the side to slide into the grooves. These boards also have rabbeted top and bottom edges so it is more watertight than the original. I stuck with the sliding boards for strength against a boarding sea. I plan on having saloon type doors on snap apart hinges soon. These will have acrylic to let light in and will allow the sliding hatch boards to function without interference.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009 16:12 
Skipper

TL,

Do you have any photos of your arrangement? If so would you post them Wink

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009 23:50 
Tactictian

Our boat has a really neat modification. The previous owner built a bridge deck and I really like it. It definitely makes the companionway steep, but it reduces cockpit volume, raises the bottom of the companionway openin to the height of the seats and adds a neat cubbyhole.

When we bought the boat it had two doors with glass panels but I went back to two sliding boards which I made out of some nice fir.

I don't have any good photos, but these give an idea of how it works out. I could take some more if anyone was interested.

Charlie

Attachments:
P1010014.JPG
P1010014.JPG [ 886.43 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
P1010007.JPG
P1010007.JPG [ 919.62 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2009 10:11 
Midshipman

Charlie,
I would be very interested in seeing additional pictures of the raised bridgedeck, inside and out, but particularly of the changes to the companionway ladder. Was it simply raised, or does it extend further forward?

Thanks

Doug
Kinsale T37 #22

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Replacing hatchboards / bridge deck
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2009 11:35 
Skipper

After reading Charlie's post the other day, and having read often that a bridge deck is a good thing for offshore boats, I mocked up a bridge deck by placing a small cooler of just the right dimensions in front of the companionway in the cockpit. I left it there all day and after a day of going into and out of the boat many times, I decided against adding a bridge deck. The worst aspect of it for me was that it made access to the boat much more difficult.

Our dodgers are necessarily low because of the fairly low boom height, and adding the bridge deck makes it feel like I am crawling into the companionway, instead of merely need to crouch a bit to clear the dodger. I usually leave my bottom board in place when offshore for added security, but stepping over the board seems much easier than stepping over the wider bridge deck.

Also, it seemed like to avoid a steeper ladder, you would need to move the base out into the cabin sole and then add an additional step.

One positive was that the bridge deck provides a great seat, with your feet on the companionway ladder facing forward at just the right height for looking out the dodger windows. I think I'm going to add a portable seat for just that purpose for piloting on those rainy northwest days, autopilot remote in one hand, and coffee cup in the other.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2009 13:34 
Midshipman

Charlie,
I would be very interested in seeing additional pictures of the raised bridgedeck, inside and out, but particularly of the changes to the companionway ladder. Was it simply raised, or does it extend further forward?

Thanks

Doug
Kinsale T37 #22

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Replacing hatchboards/bridge deck
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2009 21:01 
Skipper

Before you build a bridge deck you might consider this. I had a conversation with Olin Stephens about this a few years ago (before he died and when he was only 93 or so). I do not recall all the details, but the essence of it was that you had better have some much bigger drains in your cockpit of you are going to retain a cockpit full of water. I have been in about 20' following and breaking seas--none came aboard, but they came dam close and dribbled over the coaming. But thinking about it and the conditions I was in--the LAST thing I wanted was a cockpit full of water to help lower the boat to give the next wave a better shot at filling the boat. Olin bemusedly asked me where I would want the water--let it go below where it will add to the stability of the boat (if I am dumb enough not to have the hatch board strapped in) and match up with my three bilge pumps or slowly draining through those two little through hulls. I think there are a lot of these ideas that get put into books and repeated by folks until they take on a kind of untested truth of their own.

Just a thought.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2009 15:43 
Tactictian

I will be happy to take some more photos, but it will be later in the week.

I agree with the cockpit drain size, they could easily be bigger, and the stability point is probably valid too. I am not sure that I would have done this myself (or even thought of it) but on the whole I like it. Access is definitely more athletic, the companionway ladder has not been changed but simply had a step added on what was I think the old companionway base. It is very steep. I am 6'4" and have no trouble getting in and out.

I like it as a spot to sit and talk with people below, and it is very comfortable to sit sideways with legs on the bridge deck.

Charlie

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009 10:12 
Tactictian

I went to the boat and took some photos.

Whoever did this did a good job, it is very solid, and looks pretty original, especially when the matching teak grate covers it.

Charlie

Attachments:
File comment: Another shot of the companionway
Companionway.JPG
Companionway.JPG [ 920.17 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Companionway
Companionway2.JPG
Companionway2.JPG [ 847.7 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: Cockpit needs paint
Bridge deck.JPG
Bridge deck.JPG [ 902.5 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email