Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Stern Rail split

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stern Rail split
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2007 00:14 
Rail Meat

Hi
This is by way of a kind of research on the T37 as I will be putting my little and pretty Island Gypsy 32 Eurosedan on the market as a preliminary step to going back to sailing via the T37.
I would like to thank those who supplied me with their valuable inputs on PHRF questions.
One of the problems that advancing age and weight combined with arthritis cause is a significant level of difficulty in getting up and down the swim ladder. Accordingly, I have been thinking of opening the stern rail by about 12 to 15 inches centering on the backstay with some kind of necessary reinforcement and an as yet undesigned revision of the swim ladder intended to make boarding the dinghy easier . I'd appreciate inputs from anyone who has done anything along these lines or even given it some real consideration . Thank you . Regards

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Stern Rail split
PostPosted: 16 May 2007 11:22 
Midshipman

You don't have to have stiff joints to want easier entry. I cut the pushpit railing just as you describe. To provide adequate strength I added two vertical posts to give each side a three legged support. Then I added a transom gate to finish it. The only problem I found is that the original base fittings are custom made with a slight angle. To avoid having special fittings made, I used a 90 degree base fitting for the new legs and used a shim underneath. So far this is working fine.

I have photos, but I am currently sailing in the Exumas and won't be home till June. I will make it a point to supply a photo of my finished modification. We are very happy with the easier access.

I am now thinking of adding davits to the stern railing, but this may require more support. I will let you know if this works out.

Jerry on JAMMIN' #226

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 May 2007 21:53 
Able Bodied Seaman

The split sternrail idea is one I have been mulling over for a while but my intent is to get more room on the cockpit sides for seating on the high side when sailing heeled over. I find that in port or when sailing flat, the upper life line is well positioned but I am crowded by the life line when the boat is heeled over. I am considering cutting the rear stern railings and moving each half out a few inches to make the life lines more outboard.
On the getting older bit, I am there too and I have a folding stainless ladder for the port side gate. It is much easier to board from there and load packages and gear from the dinghy onto the side deck rather than the stern. I got mine from Mystic Stainless in CT it is very well built and folds in half to fill in the gate and not get in the way too often. it is easy to remove for storage.

Sam

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2007 15:06 
Able Bodied Seaman

Here is an alternative to altering the stern pulpit: have a side boarding ladder fabricated. I had one made over 10 years ago. It attaches to the outboard track on the toe rail at the boarding gate in the lifelines. It can be easily switched from one side of the boat to the other although we have never done so. The main advantages are that this is the lowest part of the deck to the water, the dinghy lays better on the side of the boat as opposed to the stern and there is less movement of the boat amidships when the water is choppy. We almost never use the stern ladder now.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2007 15:07 
Able Bodied Seaman

Here is an alternative to altering the stern pulpit: have a side boarding ladder fabricated. I had one made over 10 years ago. It attaches to the outboard track on the toe rail at the boarding gate in the lifelines. It can be easily switched from one side of the boat to the other although we have never done so. The main advantages are that this is the lowest part of the deck to the water, the dinghy lays better on the side of the boat as opposed to the stern and there is less movement of the boat amidships when the water is choppy. We almost never use the stern ladder now.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007 05:58 
Skipper

Tartan 37403, do you have a picture of the mounting hardware for the ladder? Does it use a slide, or does it clip in somehow?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007 13:18 
Able Bodied Seaman

Sorry, I'm too low-tech for digital pictures. I'll see if I have literature on the ladder the next time I am on the boat. The mounts(2) slide over the track and one of the mounts has the spring loaded snap pin that drops into the holes in the track to hold the ladder in place. I'll post again if I can get you a company name, model, etc. I purchased at the Sailboat Show in Annapolis and recall the company was very willing to build to my specifications as I did not want the ladder taller than the stanchions as it stood in stowed position in the boarding gate.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2007 14:47 
Grinder

I know Tops In Quality makes them http://www.topsinquality.com/amidguide.htm.

This photo is from the old Kimberlite II web site. I believe Eric had TIQ make his.

Attachments:
Folding Ladder.JPG
Folding Ladder.JPG [ 104.53 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email