Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - 1986 Tartan 37 Refit

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 05:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1986 Tartan 37 Refit
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019 21:53 
Midshipman

I had my boat refitted by Ship Shape Marine out of Port Clinton Ohio. Mike Gedert was the shipwright that did the work and I would ask for him. Yacht Services Ltd out of Amityville NY has a few videos of a Tartan refit that is far more extensive.

As to the gentleman's comment on the extent or work. A lot of the work was a function of "given it is open lets improve on this too". The boat would still be sailing today just fine if in did none of this I'm sure. The bad core in the hull was only around the head area (where pictures show head room completely removed) at sometime in the past the boat was hit or was riding on a sunken piling and repair was a half measure. The survey identified this and the yard that I bought the boat from "patch" it up on the outside (lesson learned). A more thorough inspection a year later after I bought her showed moisture in this area. The inner layer of glass was removed on the inside to access and replace the wet core. To gain access, the pan liner in the head had to be cut in half to get to the damage and while it was out why not improve the pan liner so it is better at keeping water off of wood. This is an example of project creep.

The pictures are intended to show some of the guts of our beautiful boats and what folks might see when things are removed. Looking back on all of this I tell friends that are not inclined to burn cash and time on a refit to pay the price for the most cared for boat one can find with owners that what to make sure you will be a good caretaker of their love. Good well kept boats are undervalued and boats that are poorly fitted out and need work are generally over valued. Unfortunately the bell curve on the market dictates the value of our boats.

Warm Regards,

John

Profile Email