Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Refrigeration System

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Refrigeration System
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017 18:11 
Tactictian

Removed old Alder Barbour Cold Plate system which included bin divider and spillover fan. Not the greatest system, freezer section not always cold enough to freeze and refrigeration section too small. Demoed divider, faired and filled all holes with West System Epoxy and fairing compound, sanded and painted with Rustoleum Marine Finish paint. Installed new Alder Barbour System with VD-151 Freezer Bin and CU-100 Air Cooled Compressor. Old Compressor was just inside of Lazarette hatch which always bothered me as being very exposed, removed CNG tank set up and moved new Compressor under lazarette bolted to starboard bulkhead. So far holding low 30's in refrigerator and can make 4 racks of ice cubes in vertical Ice Cube Trays.
Also installed small layer of radiant heating insulation from Loews under Refrigerator doors for better insulation and to prevent condensation. Have been spending a month each summer on extended cruises in NE each summer. This is my third season with the Bleu Moon Hull # 439.

Attachments:
DSC06591.JPG
DSC06591.JPG [ 3.59 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC06589.JPG
DSC06589.JPG [ 4.16 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC06584.JPG
DSC06584.JPG [ 3.63 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC06583.JPG
DSC06583.JPG [ 3.73 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC06578.JPG
DSC06578.JPG [ 3.67 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC06575.JPG
DSC06575.JPG [ 3.34 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC06555.JPG
DSC06555.JPG [ 3.57 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
DSC06554.JPG
DSC06554.JPG [ 3.78 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #439

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New Refrigeration System
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017 10:45 
Skipper

Some PO must have put that cold plate in there. That used to be the way the charter boats did it because they theorized they could make enough cold in an hour of running to keep things cold. As a delivery skipper, I found these systems to be a PIA. You either froze everything (including the beer!) if you left the compressor on too long, stuff at the top spoiled. You did the right thing. I think Tartan did its later installations like the one you did after feedback. Folks have learned that with some modest modifications of the tops, the box is pretty good. If you keep the air around the compressor from being hot, it will be fine. I have had the arrangement you have (no divider and beefed up top insulation) for 25 years including a couple in the tropics. Cold beer always and modest electrical draw. I did put a tiny fan in the bottom of my box to keep the cool from settling there and block the drains so the cool does not end up in the bilge. Works great.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2017 20:56 
Skipper

We put a aftermarket kit into Impetuous. And I built a grate for the bottom of the icebox to allow air under all the food. Found out the first year not to pack the icebox full and tight. Stuff on bottom thawed out and rotted. YUCK!

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017 21:10 
Skipper

We pack the bottom of ours with beer. Holds 2 and a half cases, I kind of thought having block full gives a mass to help maintain.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017 09:01 
Tactictian

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated !

Todd McCarthy
S/V Bleu Moon

Hull #439

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017 10:37 
Skipper

My problem has always been freezing at the bottom, not thawing. I block the drains to prevent the cold from funneling into the bilge, but not sure that is the cause. I wired a very small computer fan to the compressor fan circuit and put it in the bottom. This has stopped the problem and greatly reduced the run time of the compressor. FWIW. I have well insulated and sealed covers over the box—I note some of the early Tartans had very badly sealed and insulated covers.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017 13:44 
Tactictian

Thanks, I should have run an extra wire to box and was thinking of it when doing the job. I can still do if I have to, have refrig tubing nicely insulated and used Locktite foam to seal, would hsve to dog through. I'll see what happens, have only installed at end of season, ran for awhile, but not really tested on a trip.

Hull #439

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017 13:49 
Tactictian

I was having a big problem with holding plate and spillover fan, lots of air leaks into box, causing major frosting on holding plate in humid weather. Found gaps under the counter above refrig compartment pan, and double sealed the doors. THey are a tight fit now, greatly reduced frosting issues.

Hull #439

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018 12:33 
Rail Meat

look into the stainlesslobster.com. they have a fridge optimizer that I installed and it is great. regularly defrost evaporator and greatly reduces the power consumption of the compressor unit.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2018 20:53 
Skipper

To increase the effectiveness of my original Adler Barbour unit (compressor still runs fine and will freeze everything in the box if you are not careful) I added a somewhat larger computer fan on the compressor (I think it was $20 at Radio Shack) and wired a very tiny computer fan in the bottom of the box, because I had a problem with stuff getting frozen at the bottom of the box. I would say I reduced the run time of the compressor by at least 30%. These very low draw computer fans were not available when Adler Barbour made these units—and they can move a lot more air for very little current.
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email