Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Propane stove

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 07:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Propane stove
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016 17:39 
Skipper

Hey Glymroff, thanks for the info. I've got an idea for the second spare tank in this setup. I've read about people using large fender holders for the rail, but people seem to be worried about exposure to the elements also. Wife has already made a fabric cover, and once the holder comes in (I bought an over size one), I'm thinking about cutting up an actual fender to make a bottom for the tank to sit in (with vent/drain holes). I've also bought a 4 foot hose that adapts the Worthington tank to go directly to the grill from the rail mounted spare tank. So, in the end, capacity/functionality will be about like your set up. Just want to make sure it is safe. I'll post up pics and specs once I get it all together and see how comfortable I am with it as a permanent solution.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016 16:16 
Skipper

Got my hole cut out for the deck plate. Jigsaw with a fine tooth metal saw worked great. Had read that carbide grit was good too but didn't have one of those so thought I'd try what I had with a test cut. Absolutely no reason to go out and get a carbide grit blade if you don't have one. The thickness is just shy of 1", so the bolts to go through the deck and the 3/4" flange should be # 10 2" or so. The screws I got for the deck plate are # 10 3/4". Currently waiting for my epoxy to dry where I chipped out the balsa. I used a combo of an ice pick type tool and a small chisel, both with a mallet. And also just scraping with them. I tried to dig deep enough that my drilled holes will also go through epoxy instead of balsa. I used the West System Six 10 thickened epoxy in a caulk gun. It is plenty thick enough to stay in place. I pushed and formed it in with the West System stirring sticks (tongue depressor looking things). Check out my post about it all here http://funonholiday.com/index.php/2016/ ... ing-masts/

Attachments:
20160919_100110.jpg
20160919_100110.jpg [ 1.08 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
epoxyfill.jpg
epoxyfill.jpg [ 87.63 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016 16:19 
Skipper

Trimmed out the shelf and also installed the thru hull for the vent hose. I went ahead and installed the vapor tight fitting with 4200 and drilled the hole for the solenoid wires out of the box before taking the locker in the boat. In the Tech section, this is done after. Figured everything is easier outside the boat. Getting the locker through the boat and in place is hard. Like the Tech section says, you have to go in through the engine access in the quarter berth. On my boat, the exhaust hose and the cable to the transmission were in the way, but you could squeeze it through them. Then, you leave it in the middle and climb in the cockpit lazarette and shuffle it back underneath the helm seat. It doesn't say it in the Tech section, but I definitely had to take the port side steering cable off and out of the way. Tried to squeeze it up through without it for a while and scraped it all up before giving up. Will be doing some touch up painting. It takes an extra set of hands to get all the pilot holes drilled, put the 4200 on, and then bolt it on. I used 2" # 10 bolts and the regular small washers. The Pam trick on the vent fitting worked great with the epoxy. I drilled an 1 1/4" hole with a hole saw. Running the propane hose and wires for the solenoid is a pain in the helm seat locker. Hard to reach and use the zip ties. But gets easier once you get to the lazarette. The 25' propane hose left about 3-4 feet to spare. Then just attach everything together and voila!

Attachments:
cutout.jpg
cutout.jpg [ 182.77 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
drillthruhull.jpg
drillthruhull.jpg [ 140.1 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
venthose.jpg
venthose.jpg [ 151.6 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
lockerventhole.jpg
lockerventhole.jpg [ 116.94 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
lockerattached.jpg
lockerattached.jpg [ 218.09 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
solenoidandsensor.jpg
solenoidandsensor.jpg [ 84.4 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
finishedpropanelocker.jpg
finishedpropanelocker.jpg [ 254.81 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016 16:21 
Skipper

Check out blog post here http://funonholiday.com/index.php/2016/ ... completed/

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2016 16:23 
Skipper

Also, made my spare tank holder. Pretty happy with it although it's not the strongest thing in the world. Going to shore it up with some lashings through the fender to the rail.

Attachments:
sparetankholder.jpg
sparetankholder.jpg [ 125.74 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
sparetankinstall.jpg
sparetankinstall.jpg [ 115.73 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016 14:36 
Rail Meat

Looks Great. I mounted my sensor close to where yours is and found if water splashes on it from the sink it goes off. Also when the boat is closed up and its a million degree Florida day it goes off until I get some air circulating. I know its not propane setting it off because I bleed the lines and shut off the tank. Have you had any issues with yours?

Hull #346 IMAGINE
Gulf Breeze,FL

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016 16:19 
Skipper

It hasn't went off so far other than when we tested it with the lighter, and it's hot as heck here in Florida. Haven't splashed water on it yet but will check on that.

Profile Email