Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Curtains!

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 00:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Curtains!
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2007 23:17 
Skipper

Has anyone made up curtains for your 8 ports? If so what sort of hardware did you use, did you put velcro or something on the bottom to keep it closer to the port? Any pictures?

Thanks, Richard

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Curtains!
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2007 16:04 
Able Bodied Seaman

Richard,
What we did is trace the out line of the inside of the port onto stiff card board and then covered the card board one side white material to face out and the other side to match throw cusions we have in the cabin. After 2 years they are starting to get flimsy so I am going to redo them out of thin plywood paneling. Need to make the blanks a little smaller to account for the material going around the edge but big enough to wedge into the port light lense. This definitely keeps the inside cooler in the summer. Also attach a tab of material so you can pull them out of the port light. We storm them in the little cupboard on the starboard side in front of the pilot sea birth.
Steves
Champagne Everyday

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2007 19:56 
Skipper

Great idea - thanks

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2007 17:36 
Rail Meat

When we bought our 1981 Tartan 37, the ports were in good shape but the plastic was pretty scratched and didn't look too good. We live on our boat 24/7, so I felt that I needed some privacy. So, I made 9 stained glass inserts. I designed a geometric pattern with clear textured glass, along with several of the colors of the upholstery. We drilled holes on each side of the plastic window and just fit them inside, being held with a screw with a plastic sheath over the end, so I can take them in/out for cleaning. They cost me less than $50 and the light comes through them beautifully, yet gives plenty of privacy. They are not heavy enough to hamper the window opening. People are always commenting on them when they see our boat lit up at night.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2007 21:51 
Skipper

Great idea, can you post a picture?

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2007 17:06 
Rail Meat

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, but I am in the caribbean and seldom get internet. I do not know how to post a photo, but I can tell you about them.

I cut squares of glass, mostly about 1/2 inch square with a few pieces in the middle that were an inch by about 9 inches and some 1/4 inch by 9 inches. I used textured clear glass about 2/3 of the window, with 4 different colors, aqua, burgandy, purple and a tiny bit of yellow in that order of amount of color used. The idea is to keep it very simple. All my glass was textured or bubbly so that the light could come through and it prettier. I did the copper foil and solder type of treatment, not leaded glass, which is heavy and used for outside windows. These inserts fit into the original Tartan 37 ports. You could have them made, but it is easy to make them yourself. Good luck.

Profile Email