Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - ais

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ais
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015 06:15 
Skipper

So, are there Tartanians who've installed AIS? If so, Did you buy the stand alone or the black box version? I'm thinking that sailing up and down the eastern seaboard short/single handed that it might be prudent to get some "heads up" of shipping entering and leaving the ports along the way. Most of the marine traffic that I see are smallish fishing boats that probably won't be equipped, so the benefits may not justify the expense. However, if I only get one warning of a "big guy" doing twenty five knots on a converging course, perhaps that would make it all worthwhile? Thoughts?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: ais
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015 19:09 
Skipper

I put a "B" transponder on my Tartan as a black box from Simrad. I have been hailed by name on the Sabine and Mississippi Rivers by guys who not only outweigh me but are steelclad also. But that's not the reason we bought it. I attached it to my Standard Horizon VHF and it displays who's around me on the RAM microphone. So I can get on the radio and say "Tug Brown Water 4, this is Impetuous on your starboard bow. We are slowing down to allow you to cross ahead of our vessel."

We have used the AIS to know what is coming around the blind curve in the GICW, to let the tugs know our intentions and I check it occasionally on Marinetraffic.com to see if she is still in her slip at home. User

Down on the Gulf Coast, the shrimp boats not only don't have AIS but they also don't maintain a radio watch on the VHF. So you just have to dodge them.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015 00:25 
Able Bodied Seaman

I have the Vesper Watchmate 850 and have found it really easy to use. I also really enjoy the simplicity of the filtering feature, allowing you to look at all the boats within range or just 3 that will come to your closest point of approach. I read a lot on the forums before I purchased. I'm super happy with it! Also rated very highly by "Practical Sailor". Hope that helps!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015 07:51 
Skipper

Thanks for the replies, guys. The Vesper connects to a chartplotter via Ethernet, correct? I'd like to have the option of viewing AIS returns on the Furuno VX 2 even if I get a standalone. Not sure if the Furuno has an Ethernet input. Whose chartplotter are you using, Alan?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015 07:36 
Midshipman

I bought my ais in March 2009, so in tech years it's a dinosaur at this point - although it still works flawlessly and does everything I need. Fwi I have the Comar transponder with dedicated Vespar Watchmate display. I can connect it into a computer or chartplotter, although I do neither.

A friend recently bought an ais transponder which pushes the data via wifi. While sailing with him the length of Lake Michigan this summer, I could watch for ship traffic while in my bunk simply using my Iphone and a free app. Some chartplotters are wifi enabled but I don't know if that means they can receive the AIS info and display it. It's worth investigating.

I like having the dedicated display and wouldn't want to be without it. It's a low power draw, and mounted on top of and to the far right on the partial bulkhead at the nav station. Offshore I don't use the chartpolotter so that works for me. I can't read words on it from under the dodger but I can see Xs which means targets. Admittedly if I want the name of the target or to see particulars I have to duck below and push a couple buttons. I've often stood at the top of the companionway with vhf in hand while hailing ships by name, or I return to the helm but otherwise windvane or power helm handles the steering. Gathering that info at the helm would certainly be an advantage. The audible alarm, based on projected closest point of approach of a target, can be heard anywhere on deck.

Doug
Kinsale T37#22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015 23:34 
Able Bodied Seaman

I had installed for me an Garmin 741 XS. I supply AIS to the plotter from my Standard Horizon GX2150( receiver only).
I am presently using my Vesper as standalone transponder. It is extremely straightforward but may not be wifi capable without added help. Better check this one out.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015 17:33 
Grinder

My VHF pooched out on me so I replaced it with a Standard Horizon GX2150 with built in AIS and GPS. I've ported it to my helm Garmin chart plotter so the AIS info is at the helm.

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015 21:24 
Skipper

I also have a Standard Horizon GX2150 feeding my Garmin plotter. Two add ons get the RAM (remote mic) to mount in the cockpit, which list all AIS contacts. Also take the VGA out from the Garmin to the TV. Nothing like having a 24in chart plotter you can see from about anywhere on the boat. I'm thinking of one day adding a transponder. Coming down the ICW was very surprised to see how many boats had them. Does make it easier to call them on the VHF.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2015 11:40 
Rail Meat

I got a Vesper XB6000 for christmas. It is the one without WiFi, but will use NMEA 0183 to get it on my old Garmin chart plotter. I would like to use it to replace the nav station GPS that feeds my Standard Horizon VHF, but I don't think the 0183 signals are compatible.

S/V Dragonfly, T37 #249

Profile Email