Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Stereo Recomendations

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 26 Apr 2024 06:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stereo Recomendations
PostPosted: 13 May 2015 11:11 
Tactictian

I was at the local West Marine store looking at stereo systems. I was a bit disappointed in their selection and knowledge.
Looking for a stereo blue tooth system with high quality sound for in the cabin and possibly the cockpit.

Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations.
Regards,

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Stereo Recomendations
PostPosted: 13 May 2015 14:42 
Rail Meat

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a car radio, you can choose what features you want. I put a couple of so called outdoor speakers in the cock pit and they did not hold up to the elements. With that said, I found that 2 really good speakers in the salon are more than enough to get the job done.
Jeff

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 May 2015 19:13 
Skipper

iPhone / iPad and a good quality bluetooth speaker system works for me

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 May 2015 05:58 
Skipper

I also went with the car stereo version from Best Buy. Went with a nice Kenwood with some decent features. Poly-planer speakers(decent sound, good life expectancy) for the cockpit and Bose speakers(great sound) for down below. The stereo receives my I-pod input as well as any other USB device and it has a remote control so when we sit in the cockpit, we can control the sound levels.
If you want your stereo mounted out in the cockpit, you'll need a marine version.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 May 2015 11:40 
Midshipman

speaker location can be critical in relationship to your compass(3' or less for sure). some marine speakers claim to be magnetically shielded.

Anybody have any input on best locations for speakers in cockpit? Stern rail mounted speakers can sound good, but often lack bass response and don't look that great. Bulkhead mount has best bass response but requires holes cut. Neutral

On our E-27 we had stern rail mounted polyplanars outside amd 6x9 car stereo speakers inside the cabin which gave enough bass response that it sounded good inside and out!

We plan on going with Bluetooth on the T-37 so all the sensitive components can stay below near the navigation station. Volume, Mute, skip, etc is easily controlled from your phone, tablet, or other Bluetooth device wherever you are.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 May 2015 10:51 
Skipper

Kent,
I mounted my cockpit speakers in the vertical coaming behind the helmsman seat which is basically a good location but sound can be blocked by pillows/cushions. I have not noticed any interference to the compass. My speakers are Poly Planer marine grade 5".
With your Bluetooth speakers, would these be powered by batteries?
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 May 2015 17:36 
Skipper

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113MR362BT ... ckage.html

Real happy with this set up, can control your iPod, use USB thumb drive and aux inputs. Also can be setup for Sirius sat radio. Conformal-coated circuit boards and very expandable.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 May 2015 07:38 
Midshipman

Not Bluetooth speakers, but a Bluetooth stereo. This allows the stereo to be safely tucked down below while being controlled by mobile device in cockpit.
good point about cushions blocking speakers. We don't have cushions... yet! But that will need to be considered.

I have a pair of base 151's that are nice outdoor speakers that could be hung with brackets from the stern pulpit... but don't care for the looks of them.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 May 2015 07:51 
Skipper

The stereo in our boat was put in by the PO. The cockpit speakers were box units installed in the cockpit pockets. They were also both shot. So we replaced them with 3" Poly Planar Marine speakers. We put them in the vertical on each side of the helm seat just aft of the cockpit pockets. We used small speakers just in case we were ever pooped and they blew out. Smaller holes let through less water. Shocked

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 May 2015 19:48 
Skipper

To avoid compass issues I rigged two self contained (bookshelf) speakers (Sony I think) that I plug in under the dodger. Really makes for good sound in the cockpit, directed aft so less noise for neighbors. I store them forward since when I need cockpit tunes, I normally don't need a compass... and vice/versa. Also since they're under the dodger and stowed when not in use, they didn't need to be weather proof. In the cabin we have a bookshelf speaker mounted by each chainplate on the bulkhead. More than fills the cabin and it's fine for cockpit listening if nobody's below and you don't want to rig the cockpit speakers.

Stereo is mounted on the shelf left of nav desk with the VHF. Remote works from the cockpit. Any DIN car stereo will go in a $40 marine enclosure. I went to a junkyard and stripped some wiring and a harness pair from the door of a honda so I had enough wires for the stereo. That way I can yank the whole thing for the winter with one snap. That comes in pretty handy.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email