Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Toe Rail Refinishing

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toe Rail Refinishing
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015 13:19 
Tactictian

I'd like to get peoples' thoughts on the best way to refinish Toerail.
The current finish is dark Cetol.
I think I read somewhere on this board that somebody used a heat gun and a scraper for striping the old finish. I'm a little concerned about using a heat gun a toe rail.

Also what is the best / long lasting finish.
How many coats of varnish, what brand, etc...

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Toe Rail Refinishing
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015 00:44 
Skipper

I have had my T37 for 23 years. Every 5-7 years I take it down to bare wood. Gently. I use a heat gun (practice this off the boat if you have not used one with paint--it is possible to burn the teak) you just want the old finish to start to bubble and then scrape it. Keep the gun moving all the time. If you get tired, stop. You need a high quality scraper for the purpose--not just a paint scraper and you need to be careful not to gouge the wood as you scrape. I then sand it smooth and start out varnishing with 50/50 Epiphanes and thinner (I use nothing but the no sanding type--but remember that this version must be thoroughly stirred each time you use it) for the first couple coats. I do something like 5-8 coats with only the last one or two being full strength. Then I lightly sand and do one quick coat at the beginning of each season and that seems to work for another several years. The key to beautiful varnish is cleanliness. You need to vacuum and wipe down everything with the specialty tack rags and then remember not to wear the same clothes to sand and to varnish. Don't varnish after 3pm or in windy or dusty conditions. There are some good books on varnishing, but some of this comes from working with some folks who do it for a living here in Maine. I have used bristle brushes, but find that I get just as good results with good quality foam brushes from the marine folks, not the cheap ones from Home Depot or Harbor Freight. If you are familiar with roll and tip in paint process, the same process can be used on applying varnish and that is the way the folks at Hinckley do it. It is personal preference, but I dislike Cetol. It is gooey and difficult to keep clean and I do not like the looks of the stuff. It took a while to get the hang of varnishing, but I actually like to do it. But I am retired and have the time. By the way a battery powered multi tool is a huge help in sanding some places if you use it sparingly, but the folks at Hinckley do it all by hand--you will see ten folks descend on a boat and have all the brightwork sanded in a very short time. If you get a quality base on, the annual light sanding can be done in a couple hours and the varnishing in about the same time.

FWIW

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015 13:42 
Tactictian

Thanks for the feedback.
I also like Epiphanes and never really cared for the look of Cetol, but a lot of sailors use Cetol...
Do you use the High Gloss Epiphanies on all coats and wait 24 hours between coats?

If you could also refer brad/ type of high quality scraper and where to purchase I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015 21:58 
Skipper

Yes, I use high gloss, no sand Epiphanes on all coats, diluted as I had mentioned. I usually do not sand between coats except for the last finish coat. I am refinishing a wooden mast on my Nordic Folkboat today. I have to say it came out beautiful without much work out side of the the original prep. Remember that the no sand Epiphanes must be stirred each time you open it. I am not sure why they still make the other stuff you have to sand between coats.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015 22:04 
Skipper

I do not know the exact brand of the scraper as I bought mine many years ago. It has a black aluminum handle and comes with interchangeable blades of various shapes. I think most chandleries carry them. You will need to sharpen the blades with a file in a vise or on a stone occasionally. They last a long time if you take care of them. Once you get the feel of them and the heat of your gun, you can strip a T37 rail in no time.

RY

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015 13:37 
Tactictian

Thanks for the advice. Greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015 20:12 
Skipper

Looked today. The brand of scraper is a Proprep.

Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2015 11:52 
Tactictian

Thanks,
Good to know.
You know what they say...
Diamonds are a Girl's best friend...
A dog is Man's best friend..
Good tools are a Sailor's best friend....

Regards

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2015 06:47 
Skipper

The main advantage to cetol is that it is easy to patch when you get a scrap and that it comes off easily when you refinish. There is two colours of cetol and I think most people do not like the Orange but the clearer version is almost exactly like any varnish. I redo mine very three years.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2015 07:14 
Skipper

I agree with Sord. I use Cetol and I'm very happy with it. It actually comes in 3 varieties: original, light and natural. I've tried all three. The original creates the orange look. Light and natural more closely compare to varnish. I use light because it has been alleged that it has better uv protection. It is easy to touch up which I do every year as required. I put on 2 to 3 coats of light and then follow it up with 2 coats of Cetol Gloss.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email