Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Roller Furler Options

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 24 Apr 2024 16:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roller Furler Options
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014 10:04 
Midshipman

We are planning on buying a Unit#2 Harken ESP. Anyone have this model? Any good arguments for using the Mark IV system instead? Wondering which leg-kit to install. Thinking we need the 18"(medium) to allow clearance for the anchor, but being performance oriented where winds are often less than 15 knots, I would like to get it as close to the deck as possible.

Also any input on what length forestay people are using? We have been presented with the option of a fixed length forestay when we have ours made (which could accommodate the short leg). The current configuration has ~4 adjustment holes, but is set to max length.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Roller Furler Options
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014 10:42 
Skipper

I installed a Harken 2 about 15 years ago but I do not recall the details of the installation and some of the things you refer to. I have since replaced the forestay once which required only buying a new Norseman fitting and the wire. I have had no issues whatsover with it in 25K miles. Principle installation challenge was getting it positioned so that it did not crowd my anchor shank when it came up and leaving enough room at the top for a halyard restrainer. Your old forestay is very important for marking your new one to get it right.

Some hints on installation you did not ask for:
1. Make sure you have a halyard restrainer at the top of the mast to prevent the halyard from wrapping. This will require a bit shorter hoist on the sail and a shorter set of foils, and maybe a recut of the head of your jib if you did not have one before. You do not need a very sophisticated restrainer unit--Shaefer makes a very simple one that is relatively cheap. It is worth giving up a couple inches of hoist to ensure you do not have a halyard wrap. To me this is a safety issue as a wrap offshore could be disastrous. IMHO a restrainer is a safety requirement, not an option.
2. If you are not experienced with the Norseman fitting (or whatever brand you are using for the lower forestay) I suggest you buy an extra cone and practice before cutting your forestay to length and putting it on. Or hire an experienced rigger to do this part. It is really not technically difficult, but you are working with relatively small tolerances here, this fitting will be hidden for the rest of the forestay's life (you should inspect it, but I doubt if many people regularly do) and if it fails, you have a disaster.
3. If you take your mast up and down seasonally, you may find it advantageous to put an extra knuckle and clevis on the bottom of the unit. This has two benefits: keeps your furler up and away from your anchor when retrieving it, and makes it a heck of a lot easier to attach the forestay when restepping the mast. Does not materially affect effective sail area to have this in place, though I was concerned this might be a result.

FWIW

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Roller Furler Options
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2014 11:40 
Midshipman

Thanks for the info! Sounds like you have a Mark IV system. (twin grooves for doing sail changes, plus removable drum.) Unit 2 relates to its size. The ESP has a round foil and a single groove. The advantage to the round foil is a swage end fitting can be fed through it, so it is possible to use an existing headstay and not need to deal with the norseman. The ESP has three "leg" length options that will move the drum off the deck and clear the anchor. I hope to find pictures or feedback on what the minimal height above deck the drum should be. I have seen some in picures where the bottom of the drum is about even with the mid-tube of the bow-pulpit. The medium-leg is at 12" so I think that one might be fine. Of course I realize it depends on the anchor roller installed.

Amen to the restrainer. On our 27' we did not have one, and we were fine as long as we kept some tension on the halyard. One time after a Brother in law borrowed the boat we had a heck of a time trying to fix the wraps by doing circles in the middle of the bay in 12 knots of breeze. What a mess. They also make a deflector - it appears to be a round disc that goes above the foil to keep all other halyards (espescially spinnaker) from snagging and wrapping around the top of the foil. Both of these options would be smart to have to avoid nasty situations - they always happen when its rough, dark, or you are tired... or all of the above.

Profile Email