Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - A-Sail Spinnaker Roller Furler

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 16:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A-Sail Spinnaker Roller Furler
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014 13:50 
Skipper

I plan on purchasing a spinnaker roller furler in the near future and was wondering who of you out there already has one ?

After seeing them demonstrated on videos and seeing them operate in person it really seems to be the way to go for single handed and limited handed a-sail sailing.

The model I'm looking at is made by CDI. With this model I can use my existing a-sail. There are a lot of different models. If you have one and use it, any feedback ?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: A-Sail Spinnaker Roller Furler
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2014 12:51 
Skipper

Are you going to install a bowsprit pole to mount the furler on? I've thought about that for Betty Lou. We fly our asym with the tack line led through a turning block attached to the anchor roller, but wish we could get the tack out ahead of the boat more. An extensible sprit pole would do that, at the cost of cluttering up the foredeck.

We have a sock for our asym, and while not as simple as a furler, makes flying the chute pretty easy.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: A-Sail Spinnaker Roller Furler
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014 08:10 
Skipper

nope, just the anchor roller for now. Some of the models I've seen have an adjustable tack, some don't. Since I'm not going to be racing with it and be "crew" limited, I'll most likely choose the model that is not adjustable.

HOWEVER, I found this link where a guy made his own bowsprit with the same kind of set up I have. I may do this also.
http://www.sailmagazine.com/boatworks/diy-bowsprit

Profile Email