Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rigid boom vang

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 08:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rigid boom vang
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007 06:58 
Skipper

I would love to get one of the Garhauer models, but I am not sure if the clearance between the deck and the boom is enough to have a proper angle. Does anyone out there have a rigid boom vang? If so, what are your experiences with it? I hate the topping lift and always having to tension it to keep it from slapping the main. Cool

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rigid boom vang
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007 14:30 
Able Bodied Seaman

I am neither pro nor con an ridgid vangs but since it seems that this would be refit to your rope vang a couple of things come to mind. One is that the spring or gas cylinder allows the boom to bounce or sag especially when crew members would be leaning on the boom when furling or reefing. I try to practice one hand for the ship and one hand to hold on, the boom may have more lateral movement than is acceptable in rough waves with crew working on the mainsail. Along the same lines, while motoring in waves or even in sheltered water if there are power boat wakes, the boom naturally swings from side to side, or if the mainsheet is tightened, it tries to swing, when it get to the end of its travel, the energy stored in the swing causes the vang to bounce. Since there is a spring inside it squeaks. The same think can happen on a mooring and the movement doesnt need to be much, an inch or two, but eventually I think the squeak will be there. The other thing is that some mainsails are cut such that the boom is raised at the aft end when reefed. On Windfall, the reef clew is about 18-20 inches higher than at full mainsail. Check to be sure that travel range on the vang will accomodate your sails, especially when reefed. Last, when the day is done and I am not sailing, I like to swing the boom over to one side and raise it up, if I were to go to a solid vang, I would make sure the geometry of the mounts would allow that. My experience with a Hall Quick vang was such that to quiet the squeak and bounce, the mainsheet needs to compress the internal spring to the point where the boom is actually lower than in the sailing position, and the dodger becomes a boom gallows of sort.

Sam

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007 08:52 
Skipper

Thanks Sam for the thoughts. I didn't consider the potential for squeeks. Anyone else have issues with this?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007 12:08 
Skipper

My boat has a rigid vang. I'll have to look to see who the manufacturer is. But I don't have any problem with squeaks, and the boom lashes over to the side just fine. When I want the boom lifted higher, I use the main halyard. The vang allows about a foot of lift before I have to adjust it to the next notch (if I want it any higher than that). I haven't reefed deeper than the first set of reef points since I bought the boat, but I think I'll put in a deeper reef at the dock to see if the vang causes any issues.

The one thing I don't like about my vang is that the way my main sheet is led (parallel to the boom forward to the mast, then down to a deck mounted turning block) , the vang is in the way and I don't have a fair lead.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2007 13:48 
Skipper

Does the Rigid vang do a good job with supporting the boom when the main is down? I'm worried that it would dip too much or be inadequate in that department.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2007 14:50 
Midshipman

I have a Z-Spar rigid vang that is at least 20 years old. The vang has an internal spring which fully supports the boom when the mainsail is lowered. The vang seems pretty indistructible except for a little corrision of the aluminum tube around the stainless steel screws and rivits and the occassional replacement of the tensioning line. The line is not run aft to the cockpit, so tensioning the vang requires a trip to the mast. Jay 1979 T37C, #254, 'Faniana'

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007 06:47 
Skipper

Jay, With your rigid vang, did you also remove the topping lift? One of the reasons that I'm thinking about adding a rigid vang is to be able to get rid of the topping lift.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007 16:33 
Skipper

Tortuga's Lie wrote:
Jay, With your rigid vang, did you also remove the topping lift? One of the reasons that I'm thinking about adding a rigid vang is to be able to get rid of the topping lift.

Different Jay, but I also have a rigid vang, and have removed my topping lift. Have never missed it.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email