Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Starboard pilot berth - redux

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 02:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starboard pilot berth - redux
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014 13:19 
Rail Meat

I know there is another old thread on converting the pilot berth and I have looked at a few different T37's that have done this, but I am about to start this project this season and wanted to hear thoughts, ideas....etc. I don't plan to do anything too elaborate (beyond my skill set). I was thinking a long shelf and cutting back the backrest 5 or 6 inches.

Thanks in advance

#225 Metta - Oriental, NC

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Starboard pilot berth - redux
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014 13:43 
Skipper

Hey Rail Meat:

I love the pilot berth… Here's my take, clipped from that previous message thread:

Quote:
I know a lot of folks convert the pilot berth to storage, but on Betty Lou it is the favorite berth on the boat (especially for kids and dogs). We've added lee cloths to the two salon settees and the pilot berth, yielding three great sea berths when off-shore (the v-berth and quarter berth become storage lockers). I spend a couple of nights aboard each week and normally the v-berth is occupied by the spinnaker and the inflatable. I just leave the pilot berth made up for sleeping and spend the night tucked in there.

I wonder if its possible to do mods to the pilot berth that could be knocked down easily for passages where having the extra berth would be a good thing?

JK

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014 20:51 
Rail Meat

I do appreciate the point of view but the berth is going. Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014 17:10 
Skipper

BeckettBend,
Like Jay, I liked the pilot berth as a berth, but we only used it as a berth about 1% of the time; I can count on one hand the times anyone slept in it in the 19 years we've had the boat but then again, it's usually just the two of us. Maybe if we had kids, we would have kept it. I converted it to storage and an entertainment center with a hidden TV/DVD. I made the settee deeper by 5 inches and you wouldn't believe the difference that made!
The catalyst to start the project was the addition of central heat/AC and the foot of the pilot berth was a perfect, central location for the unit. There's photos of the job in an earlier post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=817

Good luck and if you feel like taking a trip to Virginia to check out the finished product, let me know......
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2014 15:06 
Skipper

I converted mine into a Lazerette with top access. I used West System epoxy to create a drip edge and build a teak removable wall between the cabin and storage. I can dig up pictures for you if interested. It really was not that much work but more the stress of cutting such a large hole in the cockpit

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014 04:37 
Skipper

In another thread I showed how I raised the pilot berth floor about 4-5 inches and used the space below for a central AC/heater. I still have enough space under there for storage. Actually if standing in front of the pilot berth now you really can't tell it was ever done.

My wife and I use this space for our bags when we stay on the boat. It's centrally located for that purpose and valuable space. We contemplated putting draw curtains to hide the bags but we have very few guests on the boat.

Profile Email