Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - I Have A Thought...

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 17 Jun 2024 09:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Have A Thought...
PostPosted: 26 May 2024 08:59 
Rail Meat

The Better 9/ 10ths and I are going to start cruising soon in Anne Bonny, our T37 (#291). We plan to start small with the Bahamas and go from there.

Anne Bonny has an air conditioning system mounted in the storage area on the starboard side (under the sea berth and behind the starboard settee) that limits our storage.

When we start our cruising, a water maker, I think, will be far more valuable to us over the a/c system since we're likely to utilize mooring balls or our anchor when we're visiting some port somewhere, where we won't be connected to shore power.

I personally think this is what we should do. Your thoughts?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: I Have A Thought...
PostPosted: 26 May 2024 15:37 
Skipper

Realistically, you could consider having both. If you have a water maker, you can do without the port side water tank (which causes a port list anyway). Your water maker should fit in that space and will weigh a lot less than 30 gallons of water. It might even leave room for additional storage. However if it is a strictly either / or, considering the way you intend using the boat, I agree that a reliable supply of fresh water will be more useful than the occasional plug in cool down.

$.02

Chip
Esprit #324

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 May 2024 08:00 
Rail Meat

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't aware of the port side list because our air system is mounted on the starboard.

After some deliberation between us and other cruisers, and the info you just gave us, we may look into relocating the ac to the v-berth and then mount a water maker in the port water tank location.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 May 2024 17:31 
Skipper

That makes a lot of sense. I would not like to be living aboard and not have those 3 cubbies under the pilot berth. They are sure a lot easier to access than the spaces under the vee berth. Good luck with your refit and cruise.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 May 2024 17:38 
Skipper

Additionally, if your boat still has the original port side water tank, you would have to replace it at some point anyway. Esprit’s was replaced shortly before we bought her (25-26 years ago I think) and I think they all go bad eventually.

Profile Email