Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Bilge pump outlet location

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bilge pump outlet location
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2022 20:04 
Navigator

Our bilge pump (Johnson 2200 GPH) has an outlet all the way back on the starboard quarter. There is currently no anti-siphon loop. The outlet hose has enough volume within it that if it backflows it will fill the sump and trigger the float switch. Fortunately, the Johnson pump has a check valve on the outlet, but I'm reliant on that little rubber flap to stop endless bilge pump cycling.

We're planning to install a second (Rule 2000 GPH) pump in the shallower bilge between the fridge and the nav station. The pump will be further forward, and I want to keep the outlet hose as short as possible. How far forward has anyone put their bilge pump outlet? Obviously the further forward it goes, the more likely it will be submerged when she's heeled over. The tradeoff is that the hose is shorter and there's less need for a check valve.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Bilge pump outlet location
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2022 05:18 
Skipper

Perhaps you might consider installing a lower capacity diaphragm pump and put the pump up high with the intake hose extending down into the bilge sump. Then put the float switch for the big pump higher in the sump. That way the small pump is relied on to clear small water accumulation and the big pump doesn’t come into play unless there is a real need. Put the anti siphon fitting on the big hose and let the small pump clear that hose full of water. The 2 discharge lines can connect with a T near the top of the run?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2022 05:49 
Skipper

One of this week's tasks before heading out across the Gulf of Maine in the next few weeks. My boat has a Jabsco style pump in the quarter berth that discharges to the cockpit grate behind the helm and out overboard through the scuppers. I assume it was on a float switch. I'm not wild about pumping water into the cockpit, but apparently it lets you know when the bilge needs attention or when there's more going through than normal.

I've got a Rule 1500 with float switch and a Rule 500 auto spitter I'm going to install and maybe switch the Jabsco over to manual or put a float switch for it a little higher. I hadn't contemplated whether there was really anywhere other than in that bilge hole to place a pump.

The boat had check valves inline on each bilge pump when I got it. The 500 auto spitter is going to cycle every 2.5 minutes anyway, sense water (or not) and spit. I never have put check valves on bilge pumps but I bought two of them the other day. Something I'll install and keep an eye on. No check valve on the Jabsco, since it will be for moving a lot of water quickly and on manual.

Tough to get at the hull outboard outside of the cockpit lockers and lazarette. I'm getting tired of pulling out woodwork and wondering where everything goes back in (just did the head and confirmed solid chainplate knees). I anticipate 4 bilge house outlets. 1 on the stbd quarter for the Whale Gusher and I'll probably peg the other 3 in the same location or maybe somewhere in the transom. I'm not sure if I really want the 500 auto spitter going into the cockpit grate or not, but that will be the lowest draw auto pump and maybe it's a good idea to physically see when water is being discharged (or install indicator lights somewhere). The last overboard through hull will come when I get the shower sump figured out. I see where it goes, I just don't know if I can get at the head grate drain to rig it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2022 08:41 
Skipper

The more I think about check valves the less I want to use them. Vented (or not) high loops have always worked. Trouble is you get the backflow from the downhill run back to the bilge. The cockpit grate drain (to scuppers) makes little sense since there's no high loop and it the hose run is downhill all the way to the bilge. This is factory, it appears, and would permit water in the cockpit that didn't go out the scuppers to drain to the bilge. A high loop is in order.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2022 09:44 
Skipper

I share your dislike of check valves on bilge pump lines. I realize this results in a bit of back flow, but I have a check valve on a very long low run in my Ericson 32 and it makes me nervous. FWIW. I have owned my T37 for 30 years and it just does not seem to be a problem as I can keep the bilge mostly dry without a lot of effort.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2023 10:21 
Navigator

Follow up:
We ended up going with cseltzjr's recommendation and installed a small diaphragm pump (3/4" ID hose) on a pre-existing shelf in the aft part of the starboard lazarette. This pump has its float switch as low as possible in the bilge sump. It's equipped with a Pumpgard screen and a check valve on the inlet hose and a vented loop on the outlet hose.

The original centrifugal pump (Johnson 2200 GPH) has a slightly higher float switch, 1.125" ID hose, a new vented loop up near the starboard primary winch (inside the lazarette), and no check valve.

We like the idea of the small pump (which is quieter and further from where we sleep) to deal with "maintenance water" like what gets down the mast when it rains or through the hawsepipe when we're beating upwind in waves. For serious pumping, which we hopefully never need, the bigger pump can take care of it without any check valve worries.

The two pumps have separate thru-hull discharge just below the rub rail on the starboard aft quarter. These thru-hulls are sometimes submerged when we're at full heel, but the vented loops will prevent siphoning water into the boat.

Cerbo GX counts the number of times both pumps activate (either manual or automatic), so we can keep an eye on what's going on when we're away from the boat.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and thoughts.

Profile Email