Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - center-board line question

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: center-board line question
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013 10:10 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hi
I need to replace the control line on my centerboard. What diameter line should I use and how long does it need to be?
thanks
Bill
s/v Eden

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: center-board line question
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013 15:49 
Skipper

Just laid out my old one, its 20ft of 7/16'' though I just checked in my old owners instructions and that says 3/8''. Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013 21:29 
Skipper

Mine is 3/8"
Little OT, has anyone every replaced or repaired the bent SS pipe that the CB pendant runs thru. My mast is out for the first time in 18years and was looking at it...looks ok, so reinstalled. I'm not going 18yrs again.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013 06:41 
Midshipman

when you say control line, are you talking about the line attached to the centerboard? Runs up the mast...I'm about to drop mine...not the one obviously on the cabin top...

did you replace the hose? it runs from the base of the mast (in the bilge) up into the mast? How long is it? Is the it only connected there at the base by the hose clamps? Disconnect, slide off the tube and with enough slack pull it out of the mast to you in the cabin?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013 08:33 
Skipper

There are two pieces of hose. One outside 20" X 1.5" keeps the pennant from jamming between the c/b and the trunk (not a sealing hose). The other one at the base of the mast should be replaced about every five years, think it also 1.5" or 1.25" and both are heater hoses.

I think my c/b pennant is 25ft of 3/8", and should be a quality line like sta-set. The line attaches to the c/b runs thru the hose, up the 6ft pipe in the mast, exits the mast and runs back to the cockpit. A severed pennant would be a bad deal. I think that's how come there are so many 37s running around without centerboards.

Setting the dropped c/b angle is also important, should be close to 78 degrees, I use a stopper knot at the fairlead to maintain correct angle.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013 14:34 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks everybody...25 ft of 3/8's quality line...appreciate the help
bill

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013 15:19 
Skipper

Regarding the bent piece of stainless,mine showed some nasty pitting corrosion under the rubber hose,so I replaced it with a piece of titanium tube,purchased on line then bent at my local machine shop.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013 11:42 
Rail Meat

[quote="puffcard"]
There are two pieces of hose. One outside 20" X 1.5" keeps the pennant from jamming between the c/b and the trunk (not a sealing hose). The other one at the base of the mast should be replaced about every five years, think it also 1.5" or 1.25" and both are heater hoses.

I've been looking at the sealing hose at the base of the mast. Is it possible to replace that without dropping the mast? For that matter, is it possible to replace the C/B pennant without removing the mast? Thinking about using the existing line to pull through a small piece of cord to pull through a new pennant.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013 20:40 
Skipper

duneman wrote:
puffcard wrote:

I've been looking at the sealing hose at the base of the mast. Is it possible to replace that without dropping the mast? For that matter, is it possible to replace the C/B pennant without removing the mast? Thinking about using the existing line to pull through a small piece of cord to pull through a new pennant.

Yea when you're hauled. You need to drop the center board untie the pendant and pull a teaser line thru from either end. Rerun your new pendent.

You can replace the hose at the base of the mast without dropping the board. Loosen hose or cut in middle (without cutting pendant). Tie on teaser line from top and pull to base of mast. Untie pendant from teaser and slide on new hose over pendant. Retie teaser and pull pendant back thru the mast.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013 04:59 
Midshipman

What about the other hose? Have you replaced it?

Profile Email