Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Main Sail

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 04:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Main Sail
PostPosted: 08 May 2023 16:11 
Skipper

I went with a loose foot, 2 + 2, two reefs, cunningham, drafts lines, tailtales, PHRF roach, numbers and Tartan ensign. The 2 + 2 is top two battens full and bottom two normal, I love it and have used that configuration for the last 25 years (4 mains). Our booms are only 12ft, no need for a Dutchman or sail pack. What a pain they are and hate all the mess up there. T37 are so tender, you don't need to over build the sail. My two cents.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 May 2023 15:26 
Tactictian

"Our booms are only 12ft, no need for a Dutchman or sail pack. What a pain they are and hate all the mess up there. T37 are so tender, you don't need to over build the sail".
That is a pretty blanket statement when you consider that a lot of people like having a sail flaking system. I don't race, sail with crew, mostly sail solo and at at 69 years of age I welcome being able to pick up my mooring and waltz back to the cockpit and tidy up my sail without being rushed. Like auto pilots, electric winches, top down furlers as well as roller furling I appreciate any addition that helps me get out on the water and better still, getting back. My two cents worth.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 May 2023 20:57 
Skipper

I note that I panned full battens ten years ago on this thread. I want to take that back. I have full battens now on my Tartan and lazy jacks--and I have a Dutchman system on my other boat (an Ericson 32-200) with full battens. I have the deep fin keel Tartan but I would not call even a T37 centerboard exceptionally "tender" by any definition. And I am 75 and like others, really like dropping that main sail in a really nice orderly stack when I drop the halyard. I think it is a toss up between the Dutchman and the lazy jack system (each has advantages and drawbacks) but I would definitely have one or the other and full battens just because the sail holds its shape better and is much easier to handle. I have owned my T37 for 31 years and sailed it at least 30,000 miles so she is no marina queen.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 May 2023 06:30 
Skipper

In 2007 In replaced ours with a loose footed 3 reef main from Mack Sails (measured myself and they built it) along with their Stack pack system, also added Tides Strong track system. I have been very happy with the system and it is so easy to raise and lower the main.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2023 19:06 
Tactictian

Berwick, have your ever used the 3rd reef? We're debating if the next sail should have 3 reefs, or just 2 with the second one extra deep.

For the other issues, we're in favor of loose foot, full battens, Tides track, and stack pack.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2023 22:31 
Skipper

I have sailed my T37 for 30 years on both coasts of North and Central America and never had need for a third reef. I found that the boat is so well mannered that it will sail nicely and somewhat to weather with bare poles when winds are not really manageble with sails. I have carried a storm headsail that has never been out of the bag--but that would be my go to if I needed to claw off a lee shore. With the great improvements in weather forecasting and communication, I think the old storm trysail and third reef is something for the folks doing around the world racing or the old slug crab crushers from times past. I have had the 2nd reef set deeper than the sailmakers generally want to do it from specs. I do not plan to go up there to reef more than twice as the wind comes up and my bet is that you won't either. FWIW. Just an opinion, but based on some significant experience.

Profile Email