Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rudder Fairing

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 12:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder Fairing
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007 09:59 
Midshipman

Does anyone have instructions or experience in removing and replacing the rudder fairing?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rudder Fairing
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007 20:46 
Able Bodied Seaman

Dear Jammin,

I can help with removing the fairing.
The rudder must be dropped out of the boat. The lower rudder support bearing is about 1/3rd down from the top of the rudder. If you are standing outside the boat in the yard and turn the rudder all the way to either side, you should see an opening in the forward edge of the rudder, looks like a slot, that is where the lower bearing is. On the inside of the hull all the way back where the rudder post tube is glassed to the hull, down low where the hull is quite narrow, you should see 3 maybe 4, 1/2" nuts that probably take a 3/4" wrench. Those nuts must be removed, the bolts they are holding are welded to a stainless steel flat bar that is holding both the rudder and the fairing you want to remove. Your fairing may also have some fiberglass and or putty or 5200 etc but basically you drive down on the bolt heads from inside the hull until you notice some movement, then go out and look at the fairing and rock it back and forth till you see the bond line then you may have to cut it with a razor or a hacksaw blade but the top of the fairing that meets the bottom of the hull is clamped by the flat bar with the 3 bolts. once you drive that down and out the rudder will drop and the fairing will be off. Note: you must protect the bolt threads while you hammer on them, and you better be prepared to hammer away with a 2-3 pound hammer. I don't know but you may have to get some serious heat on them critters I can't remember cause the first time I did this I was a little timid, but I have done it once again a couple of years ago and it went much easier

Sam

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007 12:07 
Skipper

You may have to cut the fairing off in the end. Mine had been glassed on at some time. What are you trying to fix?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007 08:43 
Midshipman

Thanks for the replies. Sam that is pretty much what I thought.

The fairing is slightly damaged but still serviceable. I will probably replace it the next time the boat is hauled. But for now it is OK.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007 08:54 
Skipper

Jammin, If it's not in too bad of shape, a little fiberglass work and she'll be good as new. The fairing is just hollow from behind so a repair would not be complicated.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007 09:06 
Midshipman

Well that is certainly an option too. Like most boat owners, I have gained some proficiency with fibeglass. I just ran out of time for this haulout and was not looking for more things to do. Maybe next time.

Jammin'

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007 09:29 
Midshipman

PS: I also learned that the four bolts were welded to the pintle bar on later built boats. Some of the early boats had the bolts loose. This is a problem with access to the bolt heads underneath the fairing. It is recommended that if you do remove the rudder and pintle bearing that you have the bolt heads welded to the pintle bar. This makes the install/remove process much easier. Right now I don't know which I have, but I'm sure I will find out someday.

Jammin'

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010 18:59 
Able Bodied Seaman

I had a large chunk of fiberglass break off of the fairing on the starboard side. Looking closely at it I also saw cracks on the port side...Looked like it was going to break off too.

I got some great advice ( THANKS STEVE ARNDT!!!) about fiberglass repairs and fixed it in place. My first fiberglass job. Looks OK to me - even though its not perfect. I started to obsess about it then realized it would be about 2 feet underwater and cosmetically how could it matter?

I made a thin flat peice roughly the same size at home in the garage, then took it to the boat and glassed it in place the next day. A few more layers, some fairing, sanding and bottom paint and it was on to the next project... the prop. Cool

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2010 07:25 
Skipper

Very timely thread Very Happy I have a small piece of fiberglass that has broken off the lower port side of the rudder flange. I see 4/5 screws and guess its also glassed in. Anyone know where I might get just that 4" x 48" piece before I make it myself?

Frustrating

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010 11:23 
Skipper

Chef,
This is quite timely, for I just finished re-mounting the fairing on Tortuga's Lie. The four bolts that hold this fairing on are not bedded very well and is a potential leak area. Those 4 bolts are the only thing holding the fairing in place except for what looks like plumber's putty, or at least with that sort of consistancy. My bolts were starting to rust, so I know water was starting to migrate. I dropped mine, filled in the holes with epoxy putty and basically glued the fairing with 5200 thinking I could cut it off if needed in the future. I might use some fiberglass tape on the outside face if needed, but the 5200 should do the trick, there's no weight or force on this really. Of course, I already had my rudder off repairing that. If you don't separate the fairing from the hull, I would think it would be difficult to get a good water tight seal.
Cheers,
Tom

Profile Email