Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - centerboard

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 15:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: centerboard
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013 14:04 
Rail Meat

greetings everyone . . .

this boat is new to me and so I am running through the systems. "Veracity" is on the hard right now for some repair work due to Hurricane Sandy. Looking at the bottom of the keel I see 6 bolts. I'm guessing that these bolts hold in the centerboard pivot pin housing, is that correct? I'm also guessing that there are not nuts on the other side of these bolts but rather there is a threaded female sleeve embedded in the glasswork. I was intending to remove the bolts and check the pin housing. Anything I should know about doing that? anybody ever remove the centerboard while on the hard? I have a good 12-18" of clearance between the ground and the bottom of the keel and the entire centerboard sleeve is open. Thanks.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: centerboard
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013 19:23 
Skipper

Those 6 bolts do hold the centerboard hinge pin. The pin is fabricated from 2 pieces of SS angle iron with a SS rod about 1" diameter as the shaft on which the CB rotates. That shaft is welded to the angle iron on one side and threaded on the other so it can be removed from the CB. Those 6 bolts are threaded into a plate embedded in the keel. I don't know the material of the plate, but it's not unusual for the threats to fail when you remove the bolts. If that happens, drill the embedment to the next larger size, tap new threads, and insert larger bolts or use SS lag screws.

Now for fully removing the CB, you'll need to have the boat at least 2 to 2 1/2 ft off the ground (greater than the max. width od the CB plus about 3" 6"). You'll also have to have special blocking at the aft potion of the keel. The reason for this is that you need to pull the CB aft about 2 ft when you lower it so you can get the top part of the CB to clear the pocket that it rotates into when it pivots around the pin. To do this the aft blocking needs to be built like a bridge (i.e., large blocks on either side of the keel with a stout member bridging between the two) so the CB can side in between as you pull it aft.

With it only 12" to 18" off the ground, you can lower it enough to remove and inspect the hinge pin, which is a good idea, since the pin has had a history of suffering from pitting at the weld area. To make it easier, I used a floor jack to lower the board after the hinge pin bolts are removed.

I realize my description may be a little hard to visualize, so if you'd like, I'd be please to discuss it with you back channel.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013 05:37 
Rail Meat

Thanks Jim. Your description makes complete sense. A couple of follow ups. Posting them here rather than PM because others might benefit.

How much does the centerboard weigh? Is it ballasted at the lower end? Any zincs in the area to protect the pivot assembly from electrolysis?

-David

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013 06:29 
Skipper

The CB weighs about 125lb. The lower portion is ballasted with lead shot as I understand. There are no zincs.

Even though you didn't ask, the other critical potential failure point is the padeye which is attached to the pennant. It's embedment plate is prone to rusting and failure. This has been discussed many times on this forum and Tortuga's Lie has a great solution which I adopted.

Hope this helps.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email