Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Tach and Battery Charger

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 21 May 2024 18:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tach and Battery Charger
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015 05:12 
Skipper

Here's one for the books....

I just installed a really nice Promariner 3 battery charger. After installation I was doing some other work on the engine and started it up and ran up the accelerator to around 1000 rpms. After one minute the tach stopped working. This has happened to me before when I had a loose connection at the back of the alternator. After tightening the tap several times and starting several times I still had the tach die after 1-2 minutes. My tach line was very old so I replaced it. Still no luck. Now after 4 hours I was about to give up until I had I thought to turn off the battery charger and start up the engine. This worked; apparently this was documented on a forum on the internet that I found searching the same symptoms. What I didn't know was that if the alternator senses a voltage high enough it will shut down,,, thus causing the tach to stop working. live and learn. Don't run the engine with the battery charger on.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Tach and Battery Charger
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015 05:32 
Skipper

Same things happens on a sunny day if I try to charge my house batteries with the alternator and solar panels simultaneously.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Tach and Battery Charger
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015 12:39 
Grinder

Same here viz. the solar panels so I installed a relay that shuts off the Solar panel when the engine is running.

Neal Musto
T37C #31 Abraxas

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email