Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Inverter/Charger

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 00:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inverter/Charger
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007 20:08 
Midshipman

I finally had a chance and the tools to mount my inverter/charger. I chose to put it on the stbd side of the engine compartment. It was easier than I thought it would be as I could remove the engine access panel to drill and start the screws. Once I had this started the biggest deal was lifting the 30 or so pounds onto the screw. Here is a picture...
Attachment:
xantrek 1 lores.jpg

xantrek 1 lores.jpg [ 102.3 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

As you can see, nothing is attached yet. The plan calls for 4 Trojan T105 batteries. They are going under the pilot berth.

The battery box is just set in place in this picture...
Attachment:
Battery Box 1 lores.jpg

Battery Box 1 lores.jpg [ 84.23 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

I expect to have room for the positive and negative bus bars, fuse holders, shunt, combiner, and a cool fuse box for anything (radio, bilge pump) directly connected to the batteries. More pics to follow as work progresses.

Regards,
Craig Connolly
T37 #231

T37 #231

Last edited by T37sailor on 15 Apr 2007 22:31, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Inverter/Charger
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2007 16:14 
Skipper

Hi Craig --

I didn't think of putting my house bank under the Pilot berth... but I'd hate to loose that nice easy access storage.

I am in the process of installing the same inverter (Zantrex Freedom 10), but hung mine on the aft side of the quarterberth bulkhead. My house bank is under the nav station seat (crappy location, too small a compartment, difficult access for maintenance). I was thinking of shifting the entire bank aft.

Be ready for sticker shock on cables. The book calls for 1/0 cable if your runs are over 6 feet. I found a good price here: http://shop.genuinedealz.com at 4.19/foot. They will make up custom cables for $.99/connector.

I also bought the Link 1000 interface for the inverter/charger. My wimpy house bank (2 x group 27) demands careful attention so as not to discharge too deeply, and the battery monitor will really help. When they're all used up I'm switching to Trojans as well.

This project seems to be snowballing, as I now need to add a galvanic isolator and its monitor. There goes another half a boat buck. Keep us updated, I'll also post some photos as my install progresses.

-- Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2007 21:45 
Midshipman

I finally had a chance to get some more work done on the inverter/charger installation. I added this platform to the top of the existing battery tray and an ?L? bracket. It forms a sturdy platform for the battery box. Here?s a pic?

Attachment:
Battery Platform lores.JPG

Battery Platform lores.JPG [ 95.31 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Next I added the 6 volt batteries. I had planned for Trojans but the local battery guy didn?t have the 6 volt Trojans so I wound up with Deka. Their good and heavy and have the same specs as the Trojans for $94.00 each. I left the Nigel Calder?s book at home so this pic shows my recollection of how to cable two batteries in series then in parallel.

Attachment:
House Battery Bank.JPG

House Battery Bank.JPG [ 1.87 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Next up was the AC power panels. I decided to add a main power switch that receives the power from the shore and directs it to the inverter/charger. Then back from the inverter/charger to the main AC distribution panel. I read that a meter is required on a panel if an inverter is sending power to it.

Attachment:
AC Panel Installed lores.JPG

AC Panel Installed lores.JPG [ 130.19 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

T37 #231

Last edited by T37sailor on 17 Apr 2007 16:19, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2007 21:49 
Midshipman

More from last post...

A class T fuse is from the battery positive to the inverter. And finally some straps to keep 250 plus pounds of battery where they are supposed to stay.

Attachment:
Class T Fuse lores.JPG

Class T Fuse lores.JPG [ 116.15 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
Battery Box Secured lores.JPG

Battery Box Secured lores.JPG [ 71.28 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

This was about a day and a half?s work for one person. My biggest issue was relying on my memory and my meter to connect everything together. But it works!

Next trip I'll bring Nigel with me! More to come?

Craig

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2007 15:58 
Midshipman

I have just about completed the electrical upgrade. This weekend I installed the positive distribution bar, battery combiner, fuses, shunt and, fuse block for items bypassing the circuit breaker panel. I went with 2/0 cable for the connections from the house bank (4 - 6V Deka) to the inverter and size 1 for the connection for the starting battery. Here are some pics...

Attachment:
Starting Battery.JPG

Starting Battery.JPG [ 1.85 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Here is the starting battery compartment. This is where I chose to install all the other components of the system.

Attachment:
Positive Bus Bar and Class T Fuse.JPG

Positive Bus Bar and Class T Fuse.JPG [ 1.83 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

This is the positive bus bar and the Class T fuse between the house bank and the inverter.

Attachment:
Battery Switch and Combiner.JPG

Battery Switch and Combiner.JPG [ 1.82 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

This is the new battery switch (one position connects the house bank to the breaker panel and the engine battery to the starter but does not combine them). The battery combiner will allow the alternater to charge both banks.

More pics in the next post.

Craig

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2007 16:11 
Midshipman

Attachment:
ANL Fuse.JPG

ANL Fuse.JPG [ 1.83 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

This next one is the ANL fuse that is between the alternater and the engine battery. It also shows the battery combiner.

Attachment:
Fuse Holder 1.JPG

Fuse Holder 1.JPG [ 1.82 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

This is the fuse holder for equipment directly connected to a battery source bypassing the breaker panel. Thus far, I only have the radio memory cable connected. The bilge pump is next.

Next up are the Link 2000, GFCI outlets and, getting rid of the solid (not stranded) 120v cable.

Craig

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2007 10:15 
Midshipman

The next piece I tackled was the GFCI circuits. I have three legs of AC; one to the water heater, one to forward AC outlets and one to aft AC outlets. I had a survey recommendation to GFCI protect the AC outlets and a need for an AC charging area. I chose the "stack" where the diesel hose and wiring come into the nav station. I put in a junction box and two GFCI outlets let the power from the breaker to the GFCI outlet then led the AC aft and forward from there. Having the first receptacle GFCI protected protects the downstream outlets. While I was in there I also added a DC "cigar lighter" type outlet. So, here is the picture...

Craig Connolly
T37 #231
Recollections

Attachment:
GFCI 3.JPG

GFCI 3.JPG [ 1.77 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008 14:08 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello Craig !

Very nice installation; my only suggestion to you is to not rely solely on straps to keep all those batteries in place if the boat was to heel a lot or experience big waves; personnaly I would make few removable braces of wood or similar material securing the battery box to the floor and the side.

Very clean installation indeed; thanks for all the pics and it will surely be imitated by some of us !

Jean-Denis, Hull # 162

Hull #162
YCQ, Qu?bec City, QC, Canada

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008 21:59 
Midshipman

Jean-Denis,

Thank you for the kind comments. I did want to get some heaver straps for the initial installation but I could only find the ones I used. It is surprisingly secure but I would not trust it to hold in a roll over. I didn't think about using threaded rods and wood braces. Thanks for the idea!

Regards,
Craig Connolly
Recollections
T37 #231

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2008 21:49 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello all,
Here is my new battery box (holding two group 31 12V batteries) with the brace in place.
Made it with plywood and fiberglass taped the corners.
The box is removable and I will replace it with a new box with 4 GC2 batteries eventually.
Attachment:
IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG [ 741.36 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #162
YCQ, Qu?bec City, QC, Canada

Profile Email