Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Question on Portable AC Units

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 12:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question on Portable AC Units
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013 17:43 
Midshipman

I checked the search topics and found nothing on portable AC units. I'm wondering if anyone has owned or tried using a portable AC unit (the type that fits over the mid-hatch on deck, and whether it works very well. I checked the West Marine website on their "carry-on" unit and the reviews seemed to be mixed. The summers in Michigan are often 80-90 but with global warming, I think we are seeing more 90+ days, including a couple of 100 degree days last year. Any suggestions on this type of AC unit whether the West Marine type or another portable type? Thanks.

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Question on Portable AC Units
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013 07:13 
Skipper

I have tried both a window unit rigged for the companion way and a floor model vented to a portlight and I preferred the floor model because it was a more powerful unit and it cooled very quickly. The floor model is on wheels, so I could roll it next to the mast and bungee strap it fairly securely. The window unit was awkward to step over all of the time and I did try to rig it for an overhead hatch but it seemed to loose a little power.
Here's the floor model:
http://audraswholesaleoutlet.com/store/ ... Path=34_22

After discovering the joys of air conditioning when it's 95 degrees outside and no wind, I broke down and installed a central heating/air conditioning system so I don't have to worry about hassling with a portable and storing it. Love it so far!

Profile Email