Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Running Rigging

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 23 Apr 2024 16:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Running Rigging
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007 21:01 
Midshipman

I am preparing to start replacing the running rigging. I am starting with the halyards and I am leaning toward Sta-set X. I have a main halyard, a jib halyard that is wire/rope and either two spinnaker halyards or one spin and one spare jib.

What sizes are you using? I plan to eventually bring the leads back to the cockpit so I am looking at 120'. I have a quote for 120' 7/16" Sta-set X white with green and a spliced headboard shackle for about $145.

All the halyards have some chafe from the spreaders. So, I could use some advice about storing the spare halyards too.

Thanks in advance!

Craig
T37 #231

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Running Rigging
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007 21:57 
Midshipman

Craig, I believe the original main, genoa and spinnaker halyard diameters were 7/16" and lengths were 115'. You might wish to have halyards longer than 120' if you intend to lead them to the cockpit. The best "non sale" price I found for New England Ropes was from Milwaukee Rigging, which operates an eBay store, and your price of $145 is consistent with their price of $144.40 including a spliced headboard schackle. The best sale price last year was $0.28 per foot from West Marine. Incidentally, I found that Sta-Set wears better than Sta-Set X and therefore use it for my halyards. Jay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007 22:47 
Midshipman

Thanks Jay.

I used Sta-set on my Tartan 27 and I thought I might need the Sta-set X for the bigger boat.

Do you have any trouble with chafing?

Craig

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2007 22:39 
Midshipman

Craig, I've not had a problem with chafing. Both Sta-Set and Sta-Set X have double braided polyester covers which seem to wear about the same. The difference between the lines, other than cost (Sta-Set X is more expensive), is that Sta-Set X has a parallel core. Due to its parallel core construction Sta-Set X has 30% less initial stretch and 20% greater strength than Sta-Set. Less halyard strech is important, which is why the OEM T37 halyards were often wire except for the portion being winched. However, once loaded, Sta-Set X's elongation characteristics are like Sta-Set. In other words, as long as the line is not undersized such that the greater strength is a factor, Sta-Set should perform as well as Sta-Set X after the halyard is tension. Moreover, Sta-Set is easier to splice. Given the difference is cost, my choice for halyards was Sta-Set. Jay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2007 07:43 
Skipper

Does any of that factor into the twist we get on the spin halyard? I'm assuming the cause is the core but as I hoist the spin halyard the shackle end is turning all the way up. Never noticed until I hoisted an "up and over" set of flags. The shackle wasn't forced to rotate so by the time it reached the top I had about 10 turns in the line.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2007 15:12 
Midshipman

Regardless of the line construction, there always seems to be some twist in polyester double braided halyards. That is why I use snap shackles with swivel eye's on the spinaker halyards. The swivel eye keeps the twist from chafing in the masthead sheave. Jay.

Profile Email