Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Replacing cracked holding tank

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 19:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing cracked holding tank
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012 16:55 
Able Bodied Seaman

The original port side holding tank on the Zephyr has cracked on top in several places which I taped up this summer temporarily. I`ve found the replacement to the original, made by Kracor. It`s mold #2040 and is a dead ringer. But, the cost is $519.71! Has anyone out there come up with a better (and more affordable) solution? Or found a cheaper matching tank? I`ve heard conflicting opinions regarding bladder tanks.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Replacing cracked holding tank
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012 19:54 
Skipper

I have read about folks getting poly tanks welded. Can't help with another vendor.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012 16:33 
Skipper

I have to replace mine,it was changed into a holding tank,then split !! It is sitting behind my garage,the Kracor # is 6096,capacity 30gall.My research [long] led me to believe that Ronco tanks are thicker,and cheaper,than Kracor, much measuring leads me to believe the Ronco B470 would be a good replacment,the measurements are almost identical tho Ronco says it is 25 gall.Talk very nicely with the phone lady at Ronco,you may get a better price ! I did on my holding tank,regards Bruce. [my tank is 44''long, if you can squeeze in 56'' try a B141 32gall]

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012 19:07 
Skipper

I had a crack around a fitting on mine and was able to do a weld repair. That was 5 years ago, so far so good.

I used this system and loaned it to another T37 owner, easy to use.
http://www.protechnology.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=39&category=5&CatName=Mechanical..

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012 21:49 
Rail Meat

you could try some 3M 5200. I used it on some thin cracks that came from around the outflow fitting and it has held for 6-7yrs now. If the cracks are on top it shouldn't leak unless your heeling a lot or you over fill it. Make sure the vent is not plugged causing excess pressure when your using it. Some where else here was posted a nice vacu flush system with a large holding tank like 40 gals. That would be a really nice upgrade.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012 10:34 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks Bruce, but I think maybe I wasn`t specific enough. I am referring to the forward port side, v-birth tank (black water). It`s a 19 gallon tank with a tapered side wall to match the hull. My fresh water tanks are good. :-)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012 16:31 
Skipper

Sorry,must have got confused,happens at my age ! Here is my new holding tank, I think a few others have done the same,regards, Bruce.

Attachments:
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0455.JPG [ 2.09 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012 12:06 
Able Bodied Seaman

Very nice, Bruce. What have you got there? Mostly curious because I also have a sound starboard tank up there that is 15 gal.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012 18:04 
Skipper

Go into 'Custom Mods' back to July '11 There are several pics of similar installs, Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013 16:14 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello all; just adding my small part on this tread;

We now have a 30 gal. rubber bladder tank made by Vetus on board Nemea; It's located under the V berth on port side (I've removed the old plastic 13 gal rigid tank; made a leakproof compartment and lined it with under carpet material before putting the bladder in (to protect it from shaffing).
Went all good for the first year but I can now tell you that after 2 years it's not odor tight anymore. Further more; the vent hose is not effective at all (gets easily obstructed and will overflow if pressure builds up in the tank).
So unless you don't mind replacing the whole thing each other years, flexible tanks are good only for short time installations as my experience tells me.

Now I will have to get rid of it (and all the flexible piping that I've installed) and do it all over again. I'm now thinking about ordering a custom made tank in stainless steel (food grade 316L is acid resistant and is used in the food industry) but it will certainly cost twice the price of a rigid plastic one...

Have a great winter all

Hull #162
YCQ, Qu?bec City, QC, Canada

Profile Email