Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Tartan 37 hatches

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 15:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tartan 37 hatches
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2007 13:28 
Rail Meat

Tartan 37 owners:
I have a 1979 Tartan 37 with Atkins Hoyle deck hatches. I am looking to replace both the forward hatch and the small main saloon hatch. Does anyone know if either Lewmar or Bowmar make relplacement hatches that can be used without major surgery?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Tartan 37 hatches
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007 16:13 
Skipper

Many have replaced the forward hatch with a Lewmar Ocean Series hatch. From what I've heard, the installation is not too hard. I haven't heard anything about replacements for the main salon hatch.

If you're interested, I just replaced the lenses for both my A&H hatches. I bought the lenses and sealant from a company in Florida. The material cost was about $160, and the whole process was alot easier than I expected. They will also replace the lenses for you if you send them the hatch covers. I don't recall the exact amount of their quote but it was about $350-$400 for both hatches.

I also replaced the hatch seals. I bought the replacement seal material from A&H. They charged me more than what I paid for the lenses, so now knowing what they sent me, I would find an alternate supplier for 1/4 the cost.

If you'd like to talk about this, feel free to contact me off line and I would be happy to go through the details.

Jim Voelxen
Odyssey #191

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007 19:18 
Midshipman

I replaced both Atkins Hoyle hatches with Lewmar Ocean Series 30 (12"x17"), part # 39630050 (main) and Ocean Series 70 (24"x24") , part # 39670050 (forward) hatches. Be sure to get the Lewmar hatches with the flat base. Installation is straight forward other than having to cut notches in the fiberglass to allow room for the hinges to fully close. The Atkins Hoyle hatches are excellent heavy duty hatches that have as an added benefit the ability to easily switch forward or aft hinge positions. If at all possible I recommend you replace the lenses rather than replace the hatches. In my case, I did not have a choice as the arms and springs which keep the AH hatches open were broken or missing, and AH could not provide replacement parts. Mauri Pro sailing had the best price on the Lewmar hatches, but you'll probably to get an even better price if you wait until the Miami boat show sale discounting occurs in February. Jay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007 08:25 
Skipper

I replaced both hatches this pasted spring with Hood Traditional Series stainless hatches. The forward hatch matched up great. The mid-hatch needed to have the hole enlarged, no big deal. The appearance is stunning with the shiney new stainless.
I like the old Atkins hatches, but by the time I replaced the plexiglass, gaskets and the time to do it all, I decided on the Hood set up for just under $1000/both and the boat looks new because of the new hatches and portlights.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2007 10:12 
Midshipman

I replaced my hatches with the Lewmar, but instead of recessing the fiberglass for the hinges, I added a spacer cut from 1/4" Starboard. The spacer is a continuous frame, looks nice, and doesn't need painting.

I used Anti-bond 2001 to break the old hatches loose. It takes a while, but it works.

Jerry
JAMMIN' #226

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007 14:03 
Able Bodied Seaman

The Tartan Yachts web site has parts for T37's including hatches, center board hinges, rudder pintels and other items. Not sure how their price compares to the other manufacturers.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007 06:59 
Skipper

Steves, The Tartan parts are typically much higher in price than finding it elsewhere, but your assured that the item will match-up better. And in some instances, it may be the only place to obtain such items. I bought my rudder pintle from them and it matched up perfectly, but deck hardware, portlights and hatches can be found much cheaper from other sources.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007 12:24 
Skipper

Before you replace or order, you might compare the A/H construction with the Lewmar and other replacements. I looked at them and redid my A and H's: new lenses, new gaskets and new bedding. Mine were leaking a bit (after being dry for years) and I found it was the bedding that was bad. I deduced that this was from a particularly rough crossing of the Sea of Cortez--I think the boat twisted under the frame. It also may be from a lifetime of pounding across San Francisco Bay. I thought (I might be wrong) that the cast AH looked a lot stronger than the Lewmars. By the way, my hatches were simply self tapped into the fiberglass, not through bolted. No matter what you do, you need to fill these with epoxy and a hard filler before you replace or reset-- as I could see that there is potential for a leak into the deck from here. I think the deck will flex around these hatches and it is something to watch.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008 22:49 
Midshipman

When I was walking around the Annapolis boat show thinking about hatches, I checked out some of the hatches on the $$$ boats. I kept seeing Manship hatches and had never heard of them. So, I checked them out online. The result is a replacement for the main cabin hatch. It's 316 stainless and folds back 180 degrees.

It arrived today and I can't wait to dry fit it. Pictures to follow...

When I checked with Bomar at the sho for a SS hatch I remember them talking about upwards of $800 or so. The Manship hatch was about $424 plus reasonable shipping.

The other good news is the v-berth hatch is about $914 for the double opening version that will allow ventilation underway (aft opening) or at anchor (forward opening), $802 for the inside opening, and $875 for the inside/outside opening.

All can be found here...http://www.marinershardware.com/ProdLuxHatches.php

T37 #231

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2008 16:19 
Able Bodied Seaman

Anybody replace their forward Atkins & Hoyle hatch?? Still have the old frame???? Mine has a cracked (broken) hinge and short of reversing it (which I will do if nothing else presents itself) I would like to see if there are others available for sale etc...
Just need the fixed (deck mounted) half of the hatch.

I am looking at having it welded too.

Thanks

Attachments:
DSC00595.JPG
DSC00595.JPG [ 1.47 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

#167 Tenacious
Port Clinton, OH

Profile Email