Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Mast Boot Replacement

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 11:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Boot Replacement
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012 11:21 
Rail Meat

When I was leaving my boat on my last visit.......later than I was planning......I noticed a hole in the mast boot on the forward side. This means that I have to make a repair before too much more time passes by. Anyone replaced theirs? From my looking on line, I will need the mast dimensions.
Anyone done this with the mast in the boat and do you know what the mast size is or what mast boot you used. Failing that, anyone have a suggestion THANKS!

Lawrence & Nancy Loyd
Solitude
Tartan 37C #393
Lodge Creek VA

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Mast Boot Replacement
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012 13:36 
Skipper

Not sure what you were using previously. I got the large size neoprene universal boot material kit (that I think Defender carries, but I got mine at Hamiltons) and cut one out to fit (use paper first if you do not have a pattern as all masts are slightly different and require sigificant and somewhat precise trimming and shaping). I use a giant hose clamp on the top with a little silicone underneath and another hose clamp around the aluminum extrusion on the partners. I have a canvas cover for all of this for esthetics and to protect the neoprene from UV. Does not leak--unlike my decade long struggle to fit something over the Spartite to stop the leaks. I now use this with the Hall Spars neoprene wedge material and it works great for keeping dry and ease of removing and resetting the mast.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012 07:06 
Skipper

Anyone try that self-bonding tape? I believe it's 4" wide and once in contact with itself, it bonds with a watertight seal. I need to replace my mast boot as well. The oval mast is a 5" X 10" if my memory serves.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=569482

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012 20:16 
Rail Meat

On my T37 #203 the mast circumference was 23" and the collar circumference was 28". The exit for the centerboard pennant is near the deck so I measured the height and ended up making a lamp shade style pattern out of two pieces of cardboard and set them about 4" apart. Then I rolled rolled and marked that pattern over a large piece of thick old truck tire tubing to make a prototype. I placed it around the mast base and it fit perfect. Someone may know how to do it using math, but the simple pattern worked for me. I overlapped it about 6" and used stainless clamps on the top and bottom and some rubber cement at the seam and it worked and looked great actually. I will use a more exotic material next summer and use the prototype as a pattern. If you have the old boot you might be able to cut it and use it directly as a pattern and just add some inches for overlap. Ciao for now ...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012 21:25 
Able Bodied Seaman

I've been using the self bonding tape for years. It works very well. No need for a strap. Byron, Hull No. 444

Profile Email