Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Dead Battery Charger & Inverter

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 13:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dead Battery Charger & Inverter
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012 20:30 
Rail Meat

My Heart Freedon 10 charger-inverter quit working. I have had no success with finding a repair facility as well. Since "THE" boat show is next week I plan to check out what is available. At the show I'm afraid I will make a decision based on how good the salesperson is, and not how reliable the charger is. Anyone replaced a charger recently and can vouch for the reliability? I would appreciate any input. I'd love to be able to continue using the Link 2000R as well.....
I'm really not convinced that I actually need to have an inverter. In the 6 years we've sailed Solitude, I can not remember ever using it!
Lawrence Loyd
Solitude
T37C #393

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Dead Battery Charger & Inverter
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2012 16:27 
Skipper

Hey Lawrence -

I have an older model Xantrex Freedom 10 1000w modified sine wave inverter/charger, with a Link1000 monitor/remote and a Xantrex Pathmaker battery combiner. All, unfortunately, are discontinued products. The new Xantrex Freedom SW 2000w pure sine wave inverter/charger would be what I would probably replace mine setup with, as the Xantrex products have been really dependable for me. I would bet that you would probably not be able to user your Link 2000 r with the new inverters. However, the new remote that compliments the new inverter looks pretty nice.

Unlike you, I use my inverter all the time. I have a Mac mini based navigation system, and use a 27" flat panel TV as my computer display/movie machine. I have a Honda 2000w portable generator for recharging while on the hook. I noticed that one nice feature of the new Xantrex model is a "generator support" mode where the inverter will kick in if the load exceeds the generator's output.

A Google search finds the discontinued Freedom 10 still for sale for $617 (turtle marine.com), while the new Freedom SW 2000w with the remote/monitor is $1215.

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012 19:41 
Rail Meat

Well....I made the decision on a replacement for our Freedom 10 battery charger - inverter. I purchased a Mastervolt 12/50/3 charger, EZ Remote Meter, and Shunt from Marine Parts Source in Tennessee. Miguel (hope I spelled it right) was a big help by calling Mastervolt with my questions and they gave really good prices!! Now all I have to do is figure out how to rewire what's needed to get this up and running. And...in case you noticed, I have decided not to install an inverter at this time. I hope I can figure out what to remove and what to keep wiring wise!

Lawrence & Nancy Loyd
Solitude
Tartan 37C #393
Lodge Creek
Lottsburg VA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012 11:35 
Skipper

Lawrence,
I am going down to the marina on Saturday (24th) to start winterizing so if you're planning on being ther too, I can give you a hand with the wiring.

Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2012 15:24 
Rail Meat

Well.....I have returned the Mastervolt charger, Shunt, and Meter! I could not get clear instructions on the installation and did not want to incorrectly put it into service, smoke it, and be unable to return it due to a failure on my part. Miguel at Marine Parts Services has been great to work with on the return and purchase of a differant charger. I do have to pay a restocking charge to Mastervolt since I special ordered it, but what good is having a piece of gear you cant use.
The new unit is a Freedom 20 charger/inverter, just like what came on the boat except a larger 2000 watt inverter instead of a 1000 watt. Should have gone this route when the original unit died. Hopefully the drama is over and can charge my new batteries before I ruin them!

Lawrence & Nancy Loyd
Tartan 37C #393
Lodge Creek, Lottsburg VA

Profile Email