Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Access to port lazarette

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 19:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Access to port lazarette
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012 07:29 
Skipper

I'm somewhat frustrated at the difficulty of getting access to "things" in the port lazarette. I recently changed the cockpit scupper hoses, and the port one took forever. I'm thinking of removing the water heater frok behind the engine so I can stretch out and get to items. There doesn't seem any place else to mount a water heater: what do you all think of life w/o hot water?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Access to port lazarette
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012 07:35 
Skipper

I guess it must depend on personal preference and how you use the boat. I would find it hard to live without hot water. We cruise fro 2-4 days every weekend in the summer and generally have a week long cruise. We use the hot water for doing dishes, and showers. Wouldn't want to try it with cold water!

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012 17:51 
Skipper

You do have to be somewhat of a contortionist to get back into that space.......think of it as a kind of sadistic Yoga!

I would not want to be without hot water. They do make a skinny vertical unit that could be maybe bolted to a bulkhead? I have a removable panel I installed behind my engine as a sound wall, I could mount something like this on the aft side of this bulkhead. I think Vetus makes it? Or is it Isotherm? mmmmmm, brain cells are wasting away.

Found it: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=606334

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012 20:45 
Skipper

I moved my water heater,its now under the quarterberth,[between the engine and the fuel tank] This also gave me access to the propshaft strut bolts which 'needed attention'!! However I now have the batteries in that spot,so access is no better. Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012 06:16 
Skipper

Before removing the hot H2O tank, guess that I should sail uP above Cape Cod first: it's so hot in the mI'd-Atlantic area now that hot water seems totally unnecessary. Additionally this tank was installed when the engine was replaced, so it will be necessary to cut it out with a sawz-all or a torch (fire hazard, much?). I would like to be able to access the area though; with the tank gone, one could "stretch out" and reach just about everything. Then I'd just have to figure out how to get way up in the rope locker.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012 08:36 
Skipper

If you do decide to remove your hot water tank, it's not hard to cut up with a sawzall. I removed my old Raritan 12 gal tank that way. It was much easier than I suspected. I replaced it with an 11 gallon Atlantic Marine Heater, which is about 12" x 12" x 24" making it somewhat easier to manueuver around. Unfortunately, they went out of business a few years back.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012 11:27 
Skipper

Also keep in mind that a 12 gallon Raritan will come out in one piece through the quarter berth.
Attachment:
Raritan12.JPG

Raritan12.JPG [ 99.77 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012 11:17 
Skipper

I put in a 'removable bulkhead' at the back of the seat at the nav station. I then cut the port bench seat in the cockpit and made an access hatch into the old quarter berth (you really have to take a deep breath when you take a skill saw to your decking). I now find I can get my two folding bikes, shore power cords, water hose and asymmetrical into the port side AND get them out.

I have some photos of it if you want to see them.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012 19:41 
Skipper

Yes please, pictures!

Richard

Profile Email