Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - cored hull

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 02:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cored hull
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2007 17:59 
Navigator

hello, i will be selling my irwin 30 and will be looking for a tartan 37 in the great lakes area. couple of questions-i know the tartan 37 has a cored hull, has anyone experienced moisture in the hull core. does the core start above the waterline? also, i frequently am the only person to sail my irwin, i have heard that the tartan is a sweet sailing boat but is a 37 footer too large for single handed. thanks carl

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: cored hull
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2007 18:49 
Rail Meat

My hull is dry but the deck were rotted and large areas needed recoring. Water had entered thru the chainplates, wicked thru the plywood into the balsa - So thats why you replace the caulking in the chainplates!!! - nasty Job

I have had no problems single handing the boat. She is so steady on her feet that you have plenty of time. Docking is always fun though

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2007 22:08 
Skipper

Ditto. Deck balsa core rotted out and made soft spots. Hull has been no trouble. None of the other T37s we know had the issue.

If you rig her for one, you'll have no troubles. She's easy to get around on. With the furling main I don't even have to leave the cockpit but I think it would be fine without it. I wouldn't want to dock with 30kts but <15kts is no troubles for me alone. Over that, I'd want one hand to fend. Depending on your screw, you get a really nice wash effect and I can use that to put her where I want her. Our crew rarely has to do more than grab a line and hook it up.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2007 13:26 
Rail Meat

I have had no problem with my cored hull. I single/hand
most of the time, but I also have an Autohelm 4000
which frees me up to leave the wheel to trim sails,crank
in sheets and do whatever else needs doing. When
cruising on the Bay and I get tired of steering, I let the
Autohelm take over for a while.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2007 09:07 
Midshipman

My reefing line and halyard winches are on the boom and mast, and the mainsheet, centerboard pennant, and traveler lines are on the cabintop. With only the genoa sheets and furling line on the coaming at the wheel, I installed a Raymarine S1 wheel pilot, which has enabled single handling the T37 with relative ease, even if I'm flying the gennaker. Jay, #254

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007 08:34 
Skipper

No problem with the cored hull on Tortuga, the coring is only in the large paneled areas for stiffness, but solid at the turn of the bilge and areas of the bulkheads.
Also, the outer skin of fiberglass over the coring is quite thick , so water penetration would most likely result from a compromise of that outer layer.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007 14:07 
Skipper

carl s wrote:
hello, i will be selling my irwin 30 and will be looking for a tartan 37 in the great lakes area. couple of questions-i know the tartan 37 has a cored hull, has anyone experienced moisture in the hull core. does the core start above the waterline? also, i frequently am the only person to sail my irwin, i have heard that the tartan is a sweet sailing boat but is a 37 footer too large for single handed. thanks carl

Carl, Not sure how old this site is but I ran across it and thought of this post.
http://www.jameszimmer53081.com/
Hull #295 in Sheboyban and it seems to be rigged for long hauls.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2007 07:49 
Midshipman

I have hull #226 and have had no problems with the core. I have replaced a couple thru-hulls and found no water intrusion into the core. The hull, bytheway, is cored below the waterline for panel stiffness, and not cored above the waterline.

Single handing is easy even though my boat is still pretty much rigged as it came from the factory. Single handing is more about your approach to sailing versus the boat anyway. It makes you think about what you are doing all the time. No place for mistakes. After several years of practice I can finally make the boat back up and go where I wanted when docking. An autopilot is always nice to have.

Jammin'

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007 16:12 
Navigator

thanks High Flight. this is the boat i bought. i think it was in may 07. really am happy with the boat, sails goood, fixes good, looks good. finally am viewing my posts. sorry it takes a year to respond. carl

Profile Email