Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - 1

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 06:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2012 12:59 
Midshipman

[admin summary of original post]
Problems with furling system.

Last edited by Down2TheC on 07 Sep 2012 09:50, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Serious problems with my roller furler
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012 04:40 
Skipper

Are you sure you are not wrapping the halyard at the very top? Make sure the halyard is tight. Best to have a halyard restrainer just below the exit for the halyard at the top of the mast to prevent winding it. The bearings will normally last a long time. I would be inclined to take the sail off, lower the upper bearing and inspect it for damage. Should be apparent if there is any. Opportunity for using some lubricant on the swivels.
At the same time you could see if you have been winding the halyard at the top--it would have kinks in it. I replaced my Sea Furl when it really was my fault for not keeping the halyard straight. Symptoms were the same as you describe. But it could be that something else is going on. I think you will need to replace your forestay if you install a new furler. It is a major job.
Let us know what you discover. We learn from others challenges.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2012 08:23 
Skipper

Valera has a good point about the halyard restrainer, I had to install one on "Tortuga's Lie" when we put on the roller furler unit....the halyard would get hung up pretty easily before but works great afterwards. I guess it has to do with the geometry of the foretriangle.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2012 21:31 
Able Bodied Seaman

Headstay tension is a factor on mine.

Profile Email  

Post subject: I took a careful look at my furler this weekend
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2012 08:53 
Midshipman

I pulled down the genny; no sign of kinking or wire wrap, the bearings for the swivel seem okay. I couldn't detect any binding when I twisted the drums; maybe it's the bottom drum. Anyway, I pulled it back up, made sure the halyard tension was good and tight, but am still getting some binding but it seems workable so I'll try to get by this season.

It's a very old system that was purchased in 1985 so maybe after 27 years it's just time to replace it. From what I can determine, the headstay length is 49'. My other concern is the pin size. I forgot to measure... 1/2" ? Makes a big difference as Defender has coastal furlers on sale for $900. The next model up with the larger pin size is $1,500.

thanks,

Tom
s/v Dulcinea
37' T37 Keel/CB #427

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012 08:43 
Midshipman

I have installed a new Harken system that I'm getting used to after replacing the Schafer Furlex I had before. In talking with the rigging experts I was told to also make sure you have good headstay/backstay tension, as someone else pointed out. They explained (which makes sense) that if the forestay has too much curvature in it, under load, it will not roll in well. They suggested either more tension or making sure their is little load on the sail when trying to furl it... and never to use a winch .... that if one has to use a winch it 1) can damage the system, and 2) shows that an adjustment was needed. FYI, a friend of mine had unfurled his sail at the dock on an Erickson 39 and used a winch when it wouldn't roll in right. He actually broke a part because of the force on the system, and had to replace it. Otherwise, as others had said, check to make sure another halyard is not getting tangled at the top and preventing rotation, or making sure the headsail halyard is snug but not too tight. Another thing is to make sure you have a 90 degree angle as the furling line enters the drum, to reduce drag against the drum guard...although that may not cause resistance -- just chafe. You've probably already checked those things.

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012 20:13 
Skipper

All good stuff given. But again tight head stay and a slightly ease jib halyard works. The halyard retainer might a nice addition. Just last month I replaced my (still working) original Hood Sea-Furl with Harken MkIV and I love it. The beef with the Hood is getting the sail up and down, way too hard.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012 11:27 
Skipper

DO you have a spinnaker halyard above the upper part of your furler?

My Spinnaker halyard catches the roller furling and stops it from rolling. I have to run the halyard (both ends) over the spreaders and to the back of the mast. Does anyone else have this problem?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012 15:50 
Skipper

Yes. I have the same problem. Got so frustrated that I finally removed my halyard.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: 1
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012 00:33 
Skipper

curriernh wrote:

Please don't wipe out posts. Now someone looking at this thread has to glean what the initial question was from the answers.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email