Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Anchor Chain in Locker

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 09:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anchor Chain in Locker
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2012 09:48 
Skipper

Has anyone come up with a solution to an anchor chain piling up and tangling in the anchor locker?

I have just installed a Lewmar V2 Windlass with 200 feet of chain but the chain builds up to a tall pile of chain which falls over trapping chain under chain. I have two anchor rodes in the locker which is divided in two with a plywood board running fore to aft. The chain comes in on the Starboard side fine but can get to a 2 foot high tower that falls over and creates mess.

I have heard that a small road cone can be placed in the locker but space is limited. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Last edited by sord on 12 Jun 2012 20:03, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Anchor Chain in Locker
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2012 13:12 
Skipper

I am not sure if you can do this or not, but many people will rig a PVC pipe that extends under the V-berth where the chain can run to. This is a good idea because it brings all of that weight farther aft but I am not sure that the T-37 would have enough slope to it to make it work.
I have 120' of 5/16 HT chain and about 120' of nylon rode and I do not have an issue. I have my locker divided in two as well but perhaps another solution is to take out the center divider allowing the main rode to pile up in a larger area and then have the secondary rode run through a pipe?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2012 14:43 
Skipper

The build up or pile of chain is called castling. If the base area of the chain locker is too small the chain will castle. Your problem seems to be when the castle falls. Your chain locker floor is reduced in size because of the your dividing the locker. Can you make a hole or depression in the pile of rope to give the chain some more room and maybe it won't castle so bad. I have similar ground tackle as yours except for the divided locker and have never had a problem with castling.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2012 14:47 
Skipper

I saw Tortuga's Lie's post and confused your ground tackles. I see that you have all chain. Try the same thing. Make a depression in the middle of the first 100' of chain in the locker to make more room for the second 100' so it won't castle. More often than not you're not going to need much of the second hundred feet so the depression should be maintained. Anyway it costs nothing to try it.

Profile Email