Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Need Help with Ground Wire Connection at Bow

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 18:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help with Ground Wire Connection at Bow
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2012 10:00 
Midshipman

My marina replaced my bow pulpit and stem plate on Celtic Lady over the winter but I noticed a loose wire now that I am at the slip. I'm 99.9 percent sure is the thick ground wire in the anchor rode locker (forward of the v-berth) which runs to the keel, and it's is not attached to anything. I'm assuming it should be attached to one of the stem plate bolts/nuts since a lightning charge traveling down the forestay would then direct the charge to the ground wire at the bow and lead it to the bilge/keel.

Can someone tell me if I'm correct and where/how this wire should be connected? Thanks.

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Need Help with Ground Wire Connection at Bow
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2012 12:50 
Skipper

I don't recall what exactly mine looks like, but the way Tartan ran the ground wire on the chain plates is to wrap or loop the copper over the bolt/stud and then add an additional washer/nut to lock it down on the bolt. This is all over top of the existing nut and assuming that you have enough of the bolt exposed to add the thickness of the wire plus allowance for the new nut to get a couple of threads at least. Do not unfasten the existing nut to put the ground wire underneath.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Need Help with Ground Wire Connection at Bow
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2012 03:44 
Midshipman

Thanks much. The wire does have a loop in the end but it's just hanging there. I'm guessing the marina either forgot to re=attach it, or they forgot HOW to reattach it... probably the former.

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email