Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - edson steering

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 16:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: edson steering
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012 17:23 
Skipper

Has anyone replaced the Edson steering cable and chain? If so was the correct part number 775-2B2D9 ?

Thanks
Richard

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: edson steering
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012 14:07 
Skipper

I replaced the cable, it is not really difficult, but nothing I would look forward to doing, either if there was not some clear sign. Edson sends the instructions with the cable. I do not have the number but the Edson folks will tell you which one you need--at least they were able when I called them many years ago. Is there something wrong with the chain? That is another part number, I believe and I would be surprised if there was a problem with it. For others who might be looking on, it is a really good idea to take an oil can down there and a rag and lube the cables and turning sheaves each season. If the cable has big meat hooks replace it. If it has little tiny ones, the guys at my local respected yard said forget it as little ones can show up quickly, even in new installations. Failure of steering is almost always the sheaves according to them.

Ray

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: edson steering
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012 05:55 
Skipper

I replaced my cables a few years back when I had the pedistal re-powder coated (made a huge visual difference in the cockpit!) The chain was perfect so why replace? The cable was an easy(ish) replacement although it can be a little time consuming to tweak the tension exactly right, port and starboard to keep the wheel/rudder centered. Be careful to cross the cable inside the pedistal so when you turn the wheel to starboard, the boat goes to starboard and not to port........some lessons have got to be learned the hard way Snicker

Profile Email