Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Found Metal Portlights

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 04:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Found Metal Portlights
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 05:54 
Skipper

ScottC wrote:
What has anyone done or what are you planning to do with the port light in the quarterberth? Is it a waste to put a stainless steel port there, or does that bump it up a notch?

Scott,
I used the Lewmar Standard portlight for the cockpit since the frame was fairly flush and fair as to not be an ankle biter. I used the Hood brand stainless portlights everywhere else though and added two more on the aft bulkhead in the cockpit:
Attachment:
summer '09 cruise 055.jpg

summer '09 cruise 055.jpg [ 1.57 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

With this set up, I was somewhat restricted in the placement of the two ports because they had to go where I removed the old wind and speed instruments.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 08:20 
Midshipman

NICE! I really like your setup, since I have had a problem seeing my wind/speed instruments when someone sat forward in the cockpit. I may have yet another project to do...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 09:20 
Midshipman

Tortuga's Lie wrote:
ScottC wrote:
What has anyone done or what are you planning to do with the port light in the quarterberth? Is it a waste to put a stainless steel port there, or does that bump it up a notch?

Scott,
I used the Lewmar Standard portlight for the cockpit since the frame was fairly flush and fair as to not be an ankle biter. I used the Hood brand stainless portlights everywhere else though and added two more on the aft bulkhead in the cockpit:
Attachment:
summer '09 cruise 055.jpg

With this set up, I was somewhat restricted in the placement of the two ports because they had to go where I removed the old wind and speed instruments.

Wow, that is really cool!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 10:18 
Skipper

Those two ports made a huge difference in terms of ventilation, especially when it is raining since the dodger protects them plus the added light that filters in from them.....no regrets.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012 17:45 
Midshipman

Here is a quick photo of the 6x15 I installed over the galley last weekend. You can also see, for comparison, two 4x14s forward. The 6x15 definitely lets in a lot more light than the 4x14s. Overall the NFM port lights are seem to be fantastic upgrade.

Attachments:
Stella Blue.jpg
Stella Blue.jpg [ 430.28 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012 21:19 
Midshipman

Baxter, you're hired. Well played, sir. Well played.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 May 2012 19:16 
Able Bodied Seaman

to add to the resources for this project, you might want to look at this site that relates how someone installed New Found ports on a T37c. See http://nicknack.us/Port_Installation.html

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New Found Metal Portlights - anyone have a template?
PostPosted: 09 May 2012 07:47 
Able Bodied Seaman

I too will be installing New Found Metal portlights in my Tartan 37. The material arrived yesterday, absent the template. Apparently, all the templates are "out" to customers, and I must wait. No estimate on how long the wait will be. I have 3 options: (1) wait; (2) make one; or (3) HOPEFULLY, someone out there has one left over from their project. If so, please let me know.

Byron Higgins

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 May 2012 17:42 
Midshipman

ByronH wrote:
I too will be installing New Found Metal portlights in my Tartan 37. The material arrived yesterday, absent the template. Apparently, all the templates are "out" to customers, and I must wait. No estimate on how long the wait will be. I have 3 options: (1) wait; (2) make one; or (3) HOPEFULLY, someone out there has one left over from their project. If so, please let me know.

Byron Higgins

I used the NFM templates but it would not be hard to make one. What I did like about the NFM template was that it was a hard plastic type material and had holes that you could use as a guide and drill through while the template was clamped in place so that your fastener locations were correct and drilled straight. (Note-The 6"x15" template had incorrect placement for the top holes. I learned this the hard way after I have relied on the template and drilled the wrong holes.) I think there is a video or pdf available that shows how to make a template.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 May 2012 20:12 
Skipper

ByronH wrote:

Byron Higgins

I still have my 4x14 template . I am in London, ON Canada but could easily send it almost anywhere. It is 1/4 ply.

Profile Email