Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Found Metal Portlights

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 08:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Found Metal Portlights
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012 17:54 
Midshipman

Hey!

I'm in the process of ordering the stainless portlights from New Found Metal for my '82 T37. NFM asked two questions that I didn't know the answer to and wanted to see if I could get some advice from people who have installed the ports...

1) What size (length?) fastener is needed for the T37? I read somewhere that you could cut down larger bolts with a dremmel but I wanted to order the correct length the first time around if possible.

2) Do you need to use the teak spacer on the T37? I saw a few posts about the teak spacer so I assume I will need this but wanted to check.

Thanks for the help!

Baxter.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New Found Metal Portlights
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012 19:55 
Skipper

Hi Baxter -

You WILL need the teak spacers. I'm not sure of the fasteners. Here is a link to a VERY complete account of installing the NFM portlights (not on a Tartan, but similar):

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/nfm_port_lights

This is on my to do list as well.

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012 09:49 
Midshipman

alpinista wrote:
Hi Baxter -

You WILL need the teak spacers. I'm not sure of the fasteners. Here is a link to a VERY complete account of installing the NFM portlights (not on a Tartan, but similar):

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/nfm_port_lights

This is on my to do list as well.

Jay

Thanks Jay! I found two other installation documents but nothing with the detail that you posted.

Baxter.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012 09:21 
Midshipman

Baxter,
What are the dimensions of the ports you ordered? This is project 538, and I am on number 17 right now. Still, I am only six magical MegaMillions numbers away from an instant total refit. Thanks!

ScottC

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012 09:52 
Midshipman

ScottC wrote:
Baxter,
What are the dimensions of the ports you ordered? This is project 538, and I am on number 17 right now. Still, I am only six magical MegaMillions numbers away from an instant total refit. Thanks!

ScottC

Hey Scott-

I got 8- 4"x14"s with screens, teak spacers and fasteners. The fasteners (I think) are 6 kits of 33mm and 2 kits with 30mm for the thinner walls of the v-berth. Definitely a lot of money to spend but it will be great to stop the leaks with the current plastic port lights and the cosmetic improvement should be huge!

Baxter.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012 17:29 
Skipper

I installed 8 NFM port lights last year. I used different sized bolts for those in the Vberth as the cabin wall was about 1/4 inch thicker there. I used 6 x 4"x14" for the forward 6 and 6"x15" for the aft 2 as there is more space there. The back ones are almost 2 times the size of the others and add a lot of light and air. My cabin sides are painted white so I used 1/2" Starboard for spacers not teak. This was considerably cheaper and provided a better fit for my needs. I used a router and plywood pattern to cut the spacers.

We can now see out and light gets in. They are great and I highly recommend New Found Metals. There service is great and even though we had some issues with the screens they replaced them for us without issue. Cool

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012 07:36 
Midshipman

Ugh...maybe next year. Guess who didn't have the right six numbers...

Does anyone have any pictures, both of the process and the results? Before and after would be great!

ScottC

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012 09:10 
Midshipman

sord wrote:
I installed 8 NFM port lights last year. I used different sized bolts for those in the Vberth as the cabin wall was about 1/4 inch thicker there. I used 6 x 4"x14" for the forward 6 and 6"x15" for the aft 2 as there is more space there. The back ones are almost 2 times the size of the others and add a lot of light and air. My cabin sides are painted white so I used 1/2" Starboard for spacers not teak. This was considerably cheaper and provided a better fit for my needs. I used a router and plywood pattern to cut the spacers.

We can now see out and light gets in. They are great and I highly recommend New Found Metals. There service is great and even though we had some issues with the screens they replaced them for us without issue. Cool

Any issues getting the 6"x15" portslights installed? I had heard of using larger portlights in the aft section but was unsure of how difficult it would be to install them. Any photos would be great! My order won't ship for a few more weeks so I may change to the 6x15s if the install is as straight-forward as the 4x14s.

Thanks!

Baxter.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012 18:03 
Midshipman

What has anyone done or what are you planning to do with the port light in the quarterberth? Is it a waste to put a stainless steel port there, or does that bump it up a notch?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012 18:43 
Able Bodied Seaman

If you live on the boat add insulation while you are at it.

Profile Email