Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Need feathering (?) strips between skeg and keel

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 00:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need feathering (?) strips between skeg and keel
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012 16:58 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hi
I need to replace the two lower side panels? ( not sure what to call them ) that go from the skeg to the rudder and enclose the lower part of the skeg & rudder. Our boat seems to have lost both sides in the past. I have been leaving messages at Tartan but nobody returns my calls. I wonder if anybody else has had to replace these and if so what material did you use to make them?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Need feathering (?) strips between skeg and keel
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012 06:33 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hi
I should have called them fairing strips not feathering......oh well

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012 07:09 
Skipper

Do you still have the lower skeg at all? The reason why I ask is that those fairing strips are intergral with the bolt-on skeg unit. If someone cut them off for some reason, the only two ways to fix it is to either fiberglass new ones yourself to the existing skeg or to go ahead and buy the whole skeg unit from Tartan.
If the strips are missing from the upper portion (above the pintle) this would be very easy to build yourself with a liitle fiberglassing skill. This upper section is basically "U" shaped with the legs of the U being those fairing strips. To build one, sculpt a wooden block roughly the width of the stub skeg (upper portion) minus 3/8" for the thickness of the glass and of course the height necessary then wrap it tightly with wax or parchment paper for a mold release. Layer your fiberglass over building up a thickness near 3/16" then wrap again with wax paper to keep the epoxy resin from sagging and this will also create a smoother surface. Once cured, trim to exact size needed and sand.
This piece was originally secured to the boat by through-bolting, but mine leaked after a bunch of years so when I removed it, I faired and filled the four bolt holes, then I used 5200 to glue the fairing back in place. If I ever have to remove it in the future, I'll have to cut it off with my Sawzall.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012 08:24 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thank you for getting back to me...Yes the lower skeg is there. It looks to me (I've only been able to dive down and look at it ) that the fairing strips are a separate piece of plastic or fiberglass that are attached to the skeg by stainless screws. So replacing them hopefully should just be a matter of buying the right piece of rigid plastic, cutting it to fit and installing it when I haul her out ( but nothing is ever easy on a boat). I wonder if anybody else has had to replace these. I also wonder how much difference they make being there regarding rudder control?
thanks
bill

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012 11:41 
Skipper

Bill,

I would suggest that the fairing strips were removed to repair the lower pintle and bearing surface of the rudder. Do you NEED them? That depends. They definitely smooth out the water flow in front of the rudder causing less drag. Are you racing? If yes, then definitely replace them. Are you cruising from anchorage to anchorage? I would mess with them in that case. If you are making long distance passages, I would re-install them to gain that 0.25 knot you might be losing. It can make a difference over a long distance.

Having said all that, my starboard one is missing and I haven't even thought of replacing it yet. It was off when I bought the boat but the missing piece is on the boat. I think I'll get it done during next winter's haul out and bottom job. or maybe not.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 16:25 
Skipper

I inquired about the purpose of those strips on my T-30. In that case they are metal strips but look pretty much the same as the T-37. I can't remember who said that the purpose is to delay stalling of the rudder. If that's the case then sailing only in winds of less than 5 knots should eliminate the need for the fairing strips. Chuckle

Profile Email