Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Is this a refit?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 22:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this a refit?
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012 15:57 
Midshipman

I apologize in advance if this sounds like the proverbial 'stupid question', but at what point do "repairs" become a "refit"? You may have noticed from my "While this is apart..." and "Is this even attached to anything?!?!" topics that I am knee deep in several ongoing projects. Some of them required complete replacement or upgrade of a certain system (fresh water lines, nav/VHF electronics), while others required basic maintenance (teak work, core repairs, etc). I don't want to mislead anyone by slapping on the term 'refit' if that isn't the proper definition of whatever it is that I am doing. The wallet would call it a refit, but would a surveyor, potential buyer, or fellow enthusiast? Kiwi's punch list is far from finished, so whatever it is, it is ongoing. Any others out there who have done a refit have any input?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Is this a refit?
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012 07:13 
Skipper

Good question!
I would say a refit is when your invested amount has grossly exceeded the resale value!!!!...................I reached that point many,many years ago......no turning back now Snicker

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012 11:32 
Skipper

Scott, I think that once you've taken 4 things apart to GET to something to repair, you can call it a refit. Like the wood around my portholes. I need to replace the wood because it's rotten under the portholes. Because the portholes leak. Because the caulking has gone bad. That's a repair. Only three levels.

Replacing the radio, adding a RAM to it, repairing the wind indicator and sender, replacing the freshwater piping, stripping and reapplying the varnish to all the exterior wood, adding a radar system, upgrading the GPS software and maps, replacing all the light fixtures inside with LEDs, repairing the bulkhead that supports the lower port shroud, installing new motor mounts and a new level switch for the bilge pump. That's a refit. LOL.

But now, the wife and I are Boat Drinks and enjoying.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012 18:25 
Midshipman

So...being about $10k into a $50k boat that now has new ground tackle, new electronics, new fresh water lines, new shower sump, new bilge pump/float switch, new fuel filtration system, new through hulls, new cabin lights, new battery charger, new batteries, re-finished exterior teak, wet core deck repair, head repair (dear Lord...), bringing sense to the DC wiring, new bottom paint, new skin on my knuckles, new bruises, new words (semi-profanity...e.g. "SON OF A BILGE PUMP!!!") for my vocabulary, new...ugh, you get the picture. That's a refit, right?

I swear, I am going to go sailing this spring...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012 21:27 
Midshipman

And the saga continues. I had the Westerbeke serviced (new oil, filters, belts, impeller,...) and rebed some of the more troublesome pieces of deck hardware (still tons more to go). The impeller was about three rotations short of throwing a blade, so the service came in the nick of time.

Today's project was the removal of the pre-existing yet non-functioning Grunert compressor, evaporator, and copper tubing to make way for the new Adler Barbour (Dometic) CU-100 and VD-152. "Removal" sounds easy. Don't believe it. I might be mistaken, but it was slightly cooler than the surface of the sun today, especially in the starboard sail locker where the old compressor was mounted.

It's a refit.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2012 09:10 
Skipper

On our way home from Pensacola to Freeport, we stopped at Houma, La. The engine was still running nicely although I thought there was a bit of steam coming from the exhaust. The next morning when we fired up the engine to get out of the marina, no water came out of the exhaust. We checked the heat exchanger and found a blade tip. No problem. We pulled the hose off the raw water inlet and it was flowing freely there. So I took the cover off the raw water pump and found this.

Attachment:
File comment: Not much left but it was pumping when we shut down the engine.

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG [ 144.43 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

That will ruin your early start to the day. Luckily our next anchorage wasn't too far away and we made it before dark. I've kept it around because I haven't ordered a replacement for it yet and it reminds me to do so.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2012 22:20 
Skipper

^^^ Wow... been there! You'll find those missing vanes in your heat exchanger. I made a post in here (and Tom put it on the engine maintenance pages) about a simple backflush you can do to get some back. You don't want them building up in there.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=449

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2012 20:41 
Midshipman

Did I mention the new hot water heater? Ugh...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012 12:36 
Skipper

Water heater. Piece O cake. Well not as bad as it looks anyway. Check out the tech section here.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012 20:45 
Midshipman

Ardea,
Since I only have a 6 gallon heater going into the compartment, it should be a little easier. One question I had about the installation is the plumbing between the engine and the water heater. Are there any special considerations or steps I need to take to avoid spilling coolant into the bilge?

Profile Email