Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Deck/Cockpit Painting

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 01:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deck/Cockpit Painting
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012 19:38 
Midshipman

Hey!

I am going to install the New Found Metal portlights this spring but have some minor damage to the cabin top’s exterior surface. I believe that one of the previous owners used a soda blaster to remove paint on the cabin top and in the cockpit that has left a gray discoloration in the gel coat (due to too much pressure from the soda blaster) that is visible but does go deep enough to feel different from the non-effected areas when you run your hand across it.

My question is what is the best (i.e. looks good and cost effective) way to paint the cabin top and cockpit. I don’t want to paint the non-skid, just make the white, smooth cockpit and cabin top surfaces look better. A friend suggested a 2-part primer and then 2-part epoxy paint but didn’t know if that was the best way to go.

Thanks!

Baxter.

S/V Stella Blue

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Deck/Cockpit Painting
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012 06:46 
Skipper

Baxter,
You typically get more wear and tear out of a two part paint than a one part. I have heard good things about the Interlux Perfection line of paints which is two part and you can apply with a brush though I don't have personal experience with it yet. I still have the original gel-coat on my decks and topsides, but I can see the day when I am going to have to break down and bite the bullet Shocked
The secret to any good paint job is the preparation.....spend the time and make sure everything is fair and that those pesky hairline spider cracks are taken care of....they'll show through the paint eventually.

Good luck,
Tom

Last edited by Tortuga's Lie on 05 Mar 2012 12:57, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012 09:27 
Midshipman

Tortuga's Lie wrote:
Baxter,
You typically get more wear and tear out of a two part paint than a one part. I have heard good things about the Interlux Perfection line of paints which is two part and you can apply with a brush though I don't have personal experience with it yet. I still have the original gel-caot on my decks and topsides, but I can see the day when I am going to have to break down and bite the bullet Shocked
The secret to any good paint job is the preparation.....spend the time and make sure everything is fair and that those pesky hairline spider cracks are taken care of....they'll show through the paint eventually.

Good luck,
Tom

Thanks Tom!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012 16:38 
Skipper

I would suggest a two part poly not a two part epoxy as epoxy tends to go chalky with UV exposure,poly doesn't. Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012 21:36 
Midshipman

Baxter,
Kiwi needs the exact same thing...new topside paint. Are you going to be back in New Bern any time soon? If so, I'm all in for helping on the project when I can. I come with a warning label, though. I'm unskilled labor. However, I can carry very heavy things a very long way, I learn quickly, and...I work for free. Let me know.

Scott

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012 22:20 
Midshipman

ScottC wrote:
Baxter,
Kiwi needs the exact same thing...new topside paint. Are you going to be back in New Bern any time soon? If so, I'm all in for helping on the project when I can. I come with a warning label, though. I'm unskilled labor. However, I can carry very heavy things a very long way, I learn quickly, and...I work for free. Let me know.

Scott

Hey Scott, We hauled out in Florida and won't be back in New Bern this season. Bummer as it would be good to have a partner in crime when experimenting with the paint. New Bern to the Bahamas on our tight time frame left us little time in the Exumas so we left the boat within a few days sail of Marathon in an attempt to be able to cross faster in the fall. Let me know what your planning with the paint and how it goes!

Profile Email