Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - While It's Apart...

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 15:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: While It's Apart...
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012 10:33 
Midshipman

My name is Scott...and I'm a Tweak-a-holic.

I first realized I had a problem when I was working on the head last year. I kept finding things I wanted to upgrade, add, or change. I just finished replacing all of the freshwater lines when I decided to finally address the wood damaged from an old leaking genoa track. While I am gathering the necessary materials to rebed ALL of the deck hardware, I decided to see how extensive the wood damage was in the quarter berth. The answer? EXTENSIVE! What have I gotten into?

Oh yeah, while I was at the parts store, I decided to add a raw water washdown.

I have a problem.

Attachments:
Boat Works 267.JPG
Boat Works 267.JPG [ 3.08 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
Boat Works 268.JPG
Boat Works 268.JPG [ 3.06 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: While It's Apart...
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012 13:29 
Skipper

Most of us are tweakaholics or, in my case, more or less an obsessive compulsive. I really cannot see what you are thinking is rotten. Having some water drip through the bolts of the genoa track is not, in itself, a big problem unless the deck around it has been compromised in the process. All the stuff I see in your pictures is covering material, not structural. I recently removed all the screws on all the tracks (great winter project) because mine were leaking a bit here and there (telltale salt accumulations). I drilled out the holes to a larger size, filled the holes with epoxy (taped below, poured in from the top), redrilled the holes through epoxy for the correct sized new screws. Hint: Bed the whole thing in 4200 and have someone hold the screws with a giant screwdriver and tighten everything with a socket. Buy long screws (at least 1" longer than the depth) and break them off after you have tightenend them as they are of varying lengths that are not sold in stores and there is little clearance for the coverings. You have the easy side open. The galley side requires removing some of the kitchen cabinet work and (in some of the later models) reaching up through access ports to get to the track's underside (make access ports if you do not have them already). If the deck is rotten around the track you have a problem, if not you just have a project. I do not recall anyone really having the deck delaminated from leaks from these tracks, but I might be wrong. It is a nasty job, but you will feel really good when it is done.

Good luck.

Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012 16:50 
Midshipman

Thanks, Ray. What technique did you use to cut off the excess length of the bolts? Also, do you remember what size bolts you used?

I just rebuilt the Whale galley flipper pump, the Henderson/Gibbs manual bilge pump, and the installed a new float switch and pump in the shower sump while waiting for football to start. The woodwork will have to wait for another day.

I'll be dangerous when I learn how to do electrical work...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012 23:28 
Skipper

Well I spend half the year here in San Francisco (my boat is in Maine) so the Niners losing today is a bit tough to take. Wait'll next year.
I don't remember the diameter of those bolts, I just replaced them with the same as I took out. I think they were 5/16th, but I am not sure--by the way you will probably need an impact driver to loosen them and a helper to hold a box end wrench on the bottom as you whack them--a few of them will probably break and you will have to drive them out. As for lengths, just get them at least 1" longer than needed to go through everything plus the washers and nut, or longer, then put a regular hex nut, lock washer and oversized washer on the bottom and tightened it up just snug, then grab onto the excess of that sucker with a Vise-Grip and whip it back and forth until it breaks off at the bottom of the nut. I then took the nut off and put a Nyloc nut on there (be careful as the ends of the bolts will be sharp),and tightened the bejeezus out of it--that is probably overkill, but there is a lot of pressure on that track in big winds. Being a obsessive compulsive, I did this for all the bolts and then took them all out (keep them in order as the depth of the deck varies significantly forward to aft) and then set the whole thing in 4200 and tightened everything down finally.
Not planning to do that again in this lifetime. It doesn't leak.
Good luck.

Ray

Profile Email