Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Fuel Tank Vent

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 18:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel Tank Vent
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012 19:08 
Rail Meat

As I further my investigation of why my fuel tank failed this summer, I've wondered why it didn't vent out when the heat built and pressure rose . . . .In tracing the vent hose to the vent, I found that the vent fitting points downward, forcing a half-loop that traps fuel. This does not seem right . . . .shouldn't the vent hose attach to the vent in a downward position (or opposite that which I had)?
Attachment:
photo (33).JPG

photo (33).JPG [ 286.44 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

. Any thoughts? What does the vent fitting look like in your T37?

Tom

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Vent
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012 20:18 
Skipper

Whether or not the hose traps fuel or not is important. What is important is that the pressure can equalize. When the engine draws fuel from the tank, air needs to be introduced into the tank to displace the fuel being consumed. If there is fuel traped in the vent line, the fuel will get sucked back into the tank allowing the air to enter the tank. If the hose is pinched at all, then there could be a bit of back pressure, but it would take an awful lot of back pressure to damage the tank.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012 20:30 
Rail Meat

Makes sense - understood. So the double/opposing half loops are not a problem. Maybe the heat had nothing to do with the failure . .maybe it was simply time for the corroded spots to pop open. Thanks again for the insight.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012 07:16 
Skipper

Tom,
My original tank developed a leak in one of the lower seams due to corrosion years ago, but if you seams split open, then it could have been a faulty weld that lasted just that long..??? Oh well, "water under the bridge".....er....maybe "diesel in the bilge"????? Sorry, bad joke.
Hopefully your new tank will give you years of trouble free service Cheers

Tom

Profile Email