Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Fresh Water Line Replacement

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 01:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fresh Water Line Replacement
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2012 22:36 
Midshipman

I've spent the last 4 days working on replacing the fresh water lines/system...and I'm still not done. Keep in mind this is the first time I've attempted something of this magnitude (cost). I had to figure out how it all worked before I took it apart. I've been upside down, kneeling, and otherwise contorted in a way no one should. The lines I am replacing used to be clear. They are black now. The fill lines basically broke apart in my hands. Only the wire kept the pieces together.

Yesterday offered a unique discovery. I found the port tank was foamed in place...with the vent lines, feed line, and the hot/cold water lines from the head firmly ensconsed in the foam. It took me the entire day just to get those lines free. At one point, I was bleeding, sweating, ALMOST crying, and offering my soul to the lowest bidder in return for the hose to loosen up a bit. The work involved a jig saw, a Dremel, a LONG screwdriver, a short screwdriver, the indispensable head lamp, a Bible, a Priest, and a beer.

That was just one tank.

MOST of the hard work is done, but I still have a lot of work to do. I've confirmed that "Boat Mechanic/Yard Worker" will not be my post retirement job. I had been considering selling Kiwi thanks to some orders (military), but after the 'quality time' I've spent on the boat the past week...I don't see that happening. I have many years of boring people with stories of all the work I did to get her back up to speed.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Fresh Water Line Replacement
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2012 10:04 
Skipper

I will be replacing my fresh water lines this spring. I am adding a new tank under the starborad v berth for rain water as I have Vacuflush system and need to use fresh water to flush. One thing I did notice was the fill hoses for the old tanks would not drain fully into the tanks and water sat stagnent in between fill ups. The port fill hose goes down under the floor boards and up to the tank and probably holds nearly a gallon of water. I am going to put an additional fill hose on the port side and eliminate the under the floor boards hose. I will now have 3 water fill ports. The rainwater one on starboard will use the old port tank fill and will be a totally closed system from the drinking water system and will have a separate pump also. I am using colour coded PEX hose and Watts fittings (available at Home Depot). Watts has told me the fittings were developed for submarine use and the household use was an added bonus to them.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012 18:50 
Skipper

I got tired of the impossible task of keeping the deck fill hoses clean and clear. Since I rarely ever used them to fill the tanks (how many times have you simply taken the hose down through the saloon hatch and filled your tanks from below just so that you did not over fill them?) I disconnected the outside fill hoses (and put plastic tags inside each one to let folks know they do NOT go to the tanks and to fill them inside) and plugged the tank inlets. One of the better improvements to my boat's function IMHO. I tried to keep them clean in years past with bleach, but this just degraded the hoses until they leaked like a sieve. Made my decision easier. I cruised Central America for two years with this arrangement with no problems.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012 07:17 
Skipper

Like Valera, I also disconnected the deck fill and plugged the tank at the fill fitting. I simply drag the hose (with a shut off valve) down the hatch and open the inspection port in the tank and fill....no biggy. At the deck fitting, I clamped a rubber end cap to the underside of the fitting just in case the deck fill leaked or someone started to fill it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012 15:04 
Skipper

I eliminated my deck fill hoses about 6 years ago when I tried to fill my starboard tank and it ruptured from the pressure caused by the column of water up to the deck fill connection (about 2-3 additional psi). I now fill the tanks through the inspection holes.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012 20:00 
Midshipman

Sord,
You and I arrived at the same conclusion. I am probably going to do the same thing with the port fill hose. I am headed to the boat tomorrow to check out the places I can run a hose from deck to tank. I am going to "attempt" to remove the 2nd fill fitting from the deck by fiberglassing, gel coating, and painting the deck. I foresee tragedy, but I still think it is worth it. If all else fails, I will do what the others did and just not use the deck fills. I really don't like stagnant water under the deck. Gravity is not the friend of the current system, and I am not sure what Tartan was thinking when they did it.

Too many projects, so little money.

Profile Email