Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Bottom Issue

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 18:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bottom Issue
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2012 10:56 
Rail Meat

I just got back from looking at and presenting an offer on a 1980 T-37. But this was the first 37 I have seen on the hard, so I have a few questions and would appreciate an assist.

First, there was a crack on both sides of the training edge of the keel. It wigged about 5 inches from the trailing edge in, about 8 inches from where the keel meets the hull.

Second, the bottom of the skeg was hollow. Putting my fingers into the skeg, it appeared the bottom 3-4 inches were hollow.

Third, the fairing of the skeg to the rudder was not robust. Is it normal for it to move slightly?

All in all the boat looked decent and I have placed a bid on her pending a survey. But any thoughts from those who own a 37 about these issues would carry as much or more weight than a surveyor.

thanks

Bill

Attachments:
File comment: Photo of Crack
Crack.JPG
Crack.JPG [ 4.6 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Bottom Issue
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2012 16:24 
Skipper

Hi Bill, good luck with your offer,I am also new around here but, my 2c worth. Skeg, yes its hollow, go to the home page, under TechResources you will find an article on pintle replacment with photos, it will make things clear to you.The keel, assuming a CB model, the rear 12/18'' is a fairing piece to tidy up the back of the lead, be sure to never block the boat under this section !
Regards Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Bottom Issue
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2012 19:11 
Skipper

Bill,
I'll second what Bruce said about the aft end of the keel. It is indeed a false keel, if you will, that fairs out the trailing end. WHy it cracked...mmmmmmm, not sure, except that maybe it was blocked at one time with the weight of the boat resting on that last foot or so of the keel. If the boat is a deep keel (Non-C/B), then perhaps it had a hard grounding at one time which torqued the keel stub a bit.
As far as the skeg is concernced: This skeg is primarily used as a protective device for the rudder and to aid in tracking. It is totally hollow and does not support the rudder at all. The rudder has a pintle that you can see, mid way up the rudder and the skeg is bolted to the hull by way of the pintle. The skeg is removable when you take off the rudder. By the way, your rudder is most likely saturated unless a previous owner repaired it. Not a hard repair, but may affect your final offer......
By the way, the bottom half of the rudder as well as the skeg is designed to shear off in case of a really hard grounding leaving the top half of the rudder for steerage......ideally.......I haven't heard of anyone testing this out though Very Happy

Cheers,
Tom

Profile Email