Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - What's the standard vberth hatch?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 18:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's the standard vberth hatch?
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011 14:41 
Midshipman

I've got a Bomar 100-series vberth hatch on my 1983 T37. I don't think it was original as the hatch is larger than the hole cut out. There's some ugly patches around the interior and it does leak a bit. I decided to bit the bullet and was thinking of a new one until I saw the prices on this model. I've opted to send the frame out to be sand blasted and powder coated and will repair the interior fiberglass so it looks clean, neat, and professionally installed.

One item I noticed was that the side dogs don't close; the fiberglass hole cut out isn't large enough so that never worked. You can see where the PO tried to carve out sections so you could snug it up tight but it still wasn't enough. I'm going in with a dremel to carve out wells so the dogs will close snugly and will finish it off nicely.

Seems like every boat I've owned has a messy looking vberth hatch when viewed from inside. The T37 with her sharp looks has inspired me to clean this up so I'll enjoy the view Smile

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: What's the standard vberth hatch?
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011 17:18 
Skipper

I don't know about the later models but the early ones had the Adkin-Hoyle cast aluminum hatch. It's a heavy duty unit, but getting it today will be quite pricey unless you can find a used one somewhere. If you're in the mid-Atlantic, you could try Bacon and Associates in Annapolis. There's a used marine consignment store in Deltaville, Va called Naughty Nells.
I replaced mine with the Hood stainless traditional hatch:

http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.nsf/a ... enDocument

I've been pretty happy with them so far and the stainless steel hatch looks sharp.

Profile Email