Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - another rudder question!

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 16:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: another rudder question!
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011 06:21 
Skipper

I am working on taking out the rudder to rebuild plus do the pintle issue. Before I take the rudder down I notice I have 1/4" to 3/8" play up and down (vertical). I recall a plastic? washer above rudder before it enters the boat but it has been gone for a couple of years now. What kind of washer is it UHMW or other type? Where do I get it (Tartan?). I was thinking of getting a few so that I could get a few so as to shim out the play, I would guess there still needs to be a bit of up and down movement. How much should I have?

thanks,
Richard

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: another rudder question!
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011 06:43 
Skipper

Berwick,
The washer you are referring to is at the very top of the rudder, correct? If so, mine was simply out of polycarbonite/plexi-glass, about 3/16" thick. I would venture a guess that Delrin would also make a good washer in this application, but may be more susceptible to UV degradation. This washer is just at or slightly above the waterline.
There is a lower washer where it rides on the pintle and I believe that that one is Delrin.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011 10:40 
Skipper

what about any gasket or such for the post? I dropped mine becasue I was getting water in when the stern squats under power?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011 11:29 
Skipper

Chef,
You should have a compression flange where flax shaft packing is wrapped around the rudder shaft then the flange bolts to it's mating flange. This arrangement is similar to a stuffing box, but the stuffing box has a threaded nut that compresses the flax and the rudder shaft seal uses the bolted flange arrangement.
It could be that your old flax is simply worn away after 30 years. You can replace this in the water without worry since it's above the waterline.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011 15:57 
Skipper

I also added a zerk grease fitting below the "stuffing box" and fill with grease, I think this helps with any water intrusion also.
What density of two part foam have people used for the rudder? 2lb, 4lb or 8lb?

thanks
Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011 16:48 
Skipper

I removed my pintle yesterday,the 1'' pin had detatched from the plate. I hope I am not 'shooting myself in the foot' with this project, but , to eliminate the crevice corrosion problem I am rebuilding the assembly in Bronze, with a 1 1/2'' pin. I already have the materials from Speedy Metals. Cost is not much more than stainless, and Tartan parts do not make one with my bolt pattern ![4 bolts in staggered pairs] Wish me luck !! Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011 18:01 
Skipper

Hmm, bronze, maybe I should go that way....

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011 17:35 
Skipper

Well, I have my new pintle in bronze, I had the pin made of 1 1/2'' and I will glue the bushing into the rudder tube with sikaflex or similar. The pin is a very tight press fit in the bar then two 1/4'' bolts threaded into the interface underneath, cut off and peened over, it shouldnt move !!
The bar and rod stock was $229 from speedymetals, bolts washers etc $51 from mcmaster-carr [jamestown will only sell 25 bolts !!] Machine shop $116 Total $396 , this compares favorably with Tartan parts. Now I have to wait for spring. Also pulled my chainplates, they look ok but I will get them x-rayed or similar. Wish me luck with my experiment. Bruce.

Attachments:
pintles old and new 001.JPG
pintles old and new 001.JPG [ 2.5 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011 17:37 
Skipper

Looking at my picture it is an optical illusion that they are different sizes, they are both 3'' by 3/4''.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011 06:14 
Skipper

I'll be curious how it fairs, you'll have to keep us posted. I would make sure it is bonded to a zinc somewhere to keep the electrolosis in check since bronze can be affected too.

Profile Email