Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - another rudder question!

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 05:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: another rudder question!
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011 06:20 
Skipper

I am working on taking out the rudder to rebuild plus do the pintle issue. Before I take the rudder down I notice I have 1/4" to 3/8" play up and down (vertical). I recall a plastic? washer above rudder before it enters the boat but it has been gone for a couple of years now. What kind of washer is it UHMW or other type? Where do I get it (Tartan?). I was thinking of getting a few so that I could get a few so as to shim out the play, I would guess there still needs to be a bit of up and down movement. How much should I have?

thanks,
Richard

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: another rudder question!
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011 18:17 
Skipper

On my pintle installation the rudder stock slips over a flanged plastic bushing on the pintle. If the flange has been worn off the bushing that would create a bit of play on the order of 1/4" or so.
Attachment:
pintle (3).JPG

pintle (3).JPG [ 753.82 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011 11:00 
Skipper

Now that I have it apart it looks like my pintle bar has a bend in it which made more vertical space for the rudder to move. Has anyone seen a bent pintle bar? It was not big but it was enough to give me more play.
Also the plate that was inside the boat was made of 1/2" or so of plexiglass and not stainless as I thought it would be.
The last thing is, the inside of the rudder has some very poor (not mixed properly) fibreglass, I think the PO had maybe tried to do some extra work in the rudder but it's ugly so I need to ripe some out before repairing it.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011 11:00 
Skipper

Now that I have it apart it looks like my pintle bar has a bend in it which made more vertical space for the rudder to move. Has anyone seen a bent pintle bar? It was not big but it was enough to give me more play.
Also the plate that was inside the boat was made of 1/2" or so of plexiglass and not stainless as I thought it would be.
The last thing is, the inside of the rudder has some very poor (not mixed properly) fibreglass, I think the PO had maybe tried to do some extra work in the rudder but it's ugly so I need to ripe some out before repairing it.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2011 01:50 
Skipper

Sounds like someone has been in there alright. I do not recall anyone having a plexi plate on the inside of the rudder and it sounds like a very bad idea. On the poorly mixed rudder resin---are you sure that is not just some putty stuck in there to fill the gap? This was specified in the original S&S specs for fixing the rudder bearing and generally done just to fill the hole around it---it would be mixed with large amounts of soft fillers so you could sand it--has no structural value or importance. You have to chip it out to remove the rudder bearing each time you go in there--you would not want well-prepared epoxy fillers to battle. i believe the S&S diagram of the rudder assembly is on this site somewhere. If it is not, I have a copy and could add it.

Ray

Profile Email